Sign in to follow this  
gussbuster

92 slc idle issues

Hello all,

First let me say I am new to the forum and just purchased my first corrado and I cant tell you how happy I am! Anyway, I have a bit of an idle issue. Weather hot or cold, when coming to a stop the idle will drop to about 500rpm and jump up to about 800rpm. It does this a few times before "finding" where it needs to be and then seems ok until the next time I am stopping. It never stalls or even seems like its about to. The previous owner says he installed a techtonics chip so I wonder if this could have anything to do with it? Any help would be fantastic! Also when braking, the ABS and brake like will come on for a split second and then go off right away. Brakes feel fine and I have never had any kind of problem braking so I dont know where to even start with it. Thank you for any help you guys can give me!!

Mine was exactly the same:

Look for any air leaks / holed pipes between the airbox and throttle.

Remove and clean the ISV (Idle stabilisation valve) with carb cleaner. (this sorted mine and is very easy to do). Do a search on here for instructions, its quite common.

Get the fault codes read from the ABS ecu - easy to do with a laptop, an ebay cable and VAG-COM software. If the light comes on it must log the fault.

the best thing to do with the isv is to leave it to soak in petrol or carb cleaner overnight=just to make sure it gets rid of all the crap. Regarding the abs light-the easiest thing to do is to make sure the sensors are not covered in crap.

thanks guys, i will have to try cleaning the isv and see what happens. I found the ABS blink code and it is a right front ABS speed sensor malfunction. Any common problems before I rip it out and replace it?