Sign in to follow this  
Funkster

VR cuts out after 5 seconds, spoiler stuck halfway, help!

Hallo all,

Got stranded in a supermarket car park on the way home just, engine starts just fine and runs for a few seconds and then cuts out just like turning the ignition off. It'll restart straight away but will then do exactly the same thing again.

There's pressure in the fuel rail (and pump was new 2 weeks ago anyway), it runs for the same amount of time if you give it a bootful (so it's not the ISV), and I've tried swearing at it, hugging it, giving it a wallop, all to no avail.

Also, the spoiler has been working fine all day but is now stuck halfway up, the button under the dash doesn't do anything.

What thoughts? Things to try? It smacks of an electrical issue, but what? If the spoiler is just a red heron and can be ignored, I'm thinking immobiliser - it's got an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser on it, anyone had this happen before? Anyone got circuit diagrams of where the immobiliser wires in?

I have no transport now apart from a very unreliable motorbike so any help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

--

Olly

Check the fuses, the VRs are a bit weird and the factory ecu immobiliser is wired via several different fuses depending on who built the car. My guess is that the rear spoiler fuse blew as the spoiler is sticky, and the immobiliser is connected via that fuse.

Mine wouldn't run without the glovebox light fuse.

You can unplug the spoiler in the boot for the time being. And do a search, this has come up before...

The cutting out problem is usually related to the factory fit imobiliser, even though yours has got an aftermarket alarm fitted the factory one might still be there, try taking the drivers side dash tray off, then if you have a look behing the dash just above the spoiler switch you should see a single black cable going into a box, unplug it give it a squirt of WD40 and plug it back in, try and start it.. and see how you get on

Hope this helps

Toad, thank you thank you thank you! Unplugged the spoiler, moved the fog light fuse to the spoiler fuse position, and all is well :o)

Can I stand you a pint somehow?

(did try to search btw, didn't come up with anything conclusive but I think I was being too specific, had spoiler and toad/immobiliser in the search as well as cut out).

A thousand thankyous!

--

Olly

Toad, thank you thank you thank you! Unplugged the spoiler, moved the fog light fuse to the spoiler fuse position, and all is well :o)

Can I stand you a pint somehow?

(did try to search btw, didn't come up with anything conclusive but I think I was being too specific, had spoiler and toad/immobiliser in the search as well as cut out).

A thousand thankyous!

--

Olly

No worries dude. Pleased you got it sorted.

My glovebox light irritated me for ages, it was only because I spent an hour on messenger with Dinkus, Supercharged and Therapor that I eventually tracked it down.

Fuse No 15 or 16 int it??

I had the exact same thing on Sunday :shock:

Much to the amusement of my mate (who insists that his Seat Cupra is superior) :D

Fuse (edit: 16) yes. I have now put the instruction manual back in the car so I know what's what in the future - had left it in the garage of course!

I thought I'd unplugged the spoiler but it was going up and down on the way to work so I think I got the wrong plug! :oD

/me orders more fuses

Cheers,

--

Olly

Interestingly since I couldn't immediately lay my hands on the plug for the spoiler motor, I tried unplugging one of the cables on the spoiler controller on the way home in an effort to stop it going up and down. Wouldn't run with that unplugged either, I have no idea what they've wired the alarm up to!

ttfn,

--

Olly