Go-rado

Front hub/ball joint query

My first techie question, short and simple (I've done a bit of a search) concerning 4cyl model front hubs and ball joint removal. Is the pinch bolt made to be removed once you've undo the self locking nut? Mine don't budge despite hammer or trying to rotate with a socket, although the Bentley manual suggests it is separate. Does this bolt need to come out before you can remove the ball joint?

Ta

Lee

Yup, it goes through a small indent in the balljoint arm, so the bj wont budge without the bolt being removed.

Try soaking the bolt in plenty of plusgas/wd40 overnight to see if it loosens it up!

Yip - you may need to push up on the wishbone for it to release...

Make sure you replace that bolt if worn - I had a rusty one cause play which lead to the BJ failing!

And you don't want a bad BJ.

Hit it harder with a hammer to help loosen it too. :)

Old thread revival..............................

Getting new wishbones/bushes/ball joints/arb links/arb bushes/top mounts/inner tie rods/ tie rod ends and a few other bits. However the garage cannot fit me in until a week on friday.

My question is,

After a look about underneath to see what i needed, i noticed that one of the bottom ball joint pinch bolts has snapped where the nut should be. I really need to drive the car but if i risk the ball joint/wishbone coming out its staying in the drive. Will it by design stay where it is? I tried to remove the bolt but it wasn't budging so figured i would wait as the garage will have the whole hub off to change the bits i need and they can get it out.

I wouldn't drive it, there's a bolt in there for a reason, if the wheel hit's a bump the hub and wishbone could part company and a whole lot of damage would happen.