Sign in to follow this  
MagicIan

Hydraulic clutch?

Hi all,

My question is 3 fold:

Does a a VR6 have a hydraulic clutch? If so does it share the same resivoir as the brake fluid?

If they do share the same resivior, if i was to bleed the brakes would i need to bleed the clutch system aswell?

Thanks in advance

Yes, Yes, Not unless the brake fluid resevoir has been completely drained, but it won't do any harm. remember to do the ABS unit and Mastercylinder.

Do you have to do anything in particular to bleed the ABS?

Have been thinking that my brakes are a bit more spongey than they were before I did a full brake bleed, and wonder if I have to cycle any valves etc. in the ABS unit to release trapped air? A job for VAGCOM perhaps? :scratch:

Not really - I've always done ok with Eezibleed but if it doesn't feel right it's well worth taking it to VW or a good garage with proper industrial pressure bleeding kit and get them to stick some fluid thru it... worth also making sure the bias valve is working ok as the rear brakes working properly has a big effect on pedal feel!

If you ever get air into the ABS then you need to use VAGCOM, it's a procedure that involves 2 mechanics and 50 presses of the brake pedal in sequence - not something I ever want to do!!!

Thanks Supercharged - just hoping that the slightly softer feel is not air in the ABS - sounds like a mission to sort that out :shock:

Don't remember messing with the rear bias valve, although we did run about 1 litre of fluid through both rear lines until it was fresh, clear and gas-free. Maybe just took longer as the pressure wasn't all going to the rear lines?

My Bentley has arrived so will have a look in there too :clap: Oh, and will check front brake pads too, just in case... :oops:

I'd never drain down a system with abs on it, best to remove what fluid you can from the reservoir and fill with fresh a then bleed through, of course if someone has already got air in the abs unit then that's another matter, major headache.

Not so much a 'drain down' in my case, but we had to replace one rear and one front caliper, so the brake lines were open to the air for a short time... We bled new fluid through continuously, about 4l I think, but realised that some bubbles could've risen up to the ABS unit in the meantime :( Have some spare fluid in the boot, so may just have a quick bleed of the ABS and master cyl again.

Yeah Bentley is useless for brakes as the US abs system is completely different...

You really should cap off (not clamp) the lines when changing calipers so you don't loose any...

Also worth mentioning that i'm eezibleeding at 20-25 PSI which is higher than recommended by Gunsons altho an ABS system should run at a higher pressure...

Be good to find out what pressure VW use on the machine but like I said, it's not worth messing about for the sake of £30 - just take it to VW if it's drivable.

Yeah, it's definitely driveable. More of a niggle than a problem. Just noticed that the ABS barely kicked in on a piece of emergency braking coming up a sliproad when someone stalled ahead of me :roll: Figured that my brake friction might be down a bit...

We have a very good VW nearby, so that may be the simplest solution!

Cheers.

Thanks for all the comments guys

However, i have one last question: Is there a specific order that i should bleed in?

Furthest distance from master cylinder to shortest. So....

For vehicles with ABS

Rear right, rear left, front right, front left, abs pump, master cylinder

For vehicles without ABS

Rear right, rear left, front left, front right, master cylinder if there is a nipple, not on all of the non ABS master cylinders.