Sign in to follow this  
redhotpq

pressure in system

Hi,

I have pressure in my rados coolant system and dont know how to fix it. its seems to be building up pressure and blowing the seals cause it is leaking and i'm worried its going to do damage!

how do i fix this?

just wondering aswell does anyone know how many corrados are in Ireland? (i'm in co. clare)

i have some general questions so will post them in general car chat i suppose?

Hi there :wave:

Can you give us a few more bits of detail please? Like where is the coolant level in the reservoir when the engine is hot (or cold)? Are you losing coolant only from the reservoir cap, or from the coolant hoses/junctions? What is your coolant temp gauge reading, and do you ever get steam coming out of the engine bay?

That should help diagnose the problem, but don't worry too much, the filler cap on the reservoir is designed to 'pop' if the internal pressure gets too high, so that hot air/coolant can escape and relieve the pressure, avoiding more expensive burst hoses etc. :wink:

Hi - I'm in Ireland as well - Living in Galway at the mo but from the midlands. My G60 loses a bit of water the whole time, but only very slowly. From searching here I reckon the most likely culprit is the outlet from the water pump. The plastic piece apparently tends to split and leak a bit but only when its hot and therefore under pressure. This would explain the lack of puddles under the car and I'll be looking more closely at it whenever I get the car back on the road - I had a bit of a boo-boo a while back adn not fully sorted yet :-(

i dont think there is any problem with coolant level when the engine is cold but when its being running for a while there is a lot of pressure in the hoses and the level light starts flashing. it loses it from the seals in the hose not sure if its also coming from reservoir! The temp seems ok even though that light comes on! its a 1.8 16v. no steam yet!

how do we know if its a problem with head gasket?

thanks again

What coolant concentrate are you running??

Is the pump and thermostat working do you think?

If you suspect the HG, take it to a garage and get them to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant.