Sign in to follow this  
LukeManic

passenger front wheel squeak

Hi guys,

I've an issue with a squeak coming from the passenger front wheel, the squeak disappears as soon as I apply the brakes. I've recently had brand new pads and discs fitted at Stealth, just wondering if this is just a tempory issue while they bed in?

Also, I've jacked the car up to take a closer look, while I manually spin both front wheels, the passenger side wheel seems a bit more difficult to turn and not as free flowing as the driver's side - I can't see anything which is obstructing things, is this something I should be worrying about or maybe related to the squeak?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Luke.

Could be the brake pad occasionally moving against the caliper/carrier - typical 'brake squeak' suspect. If you put some copper grease on the BACK of the pads (please not the friction side! :shock: ), it will stop random or periodic movement of the pads causing that incredibly annoying 'cheep cheep' noise :wink:

Otherwise, it may be that the heat/gungeshield behind the disk is slightly bent outwards and touching the disk occassionally, although that would make more of a 'shink shink' noise. Technical eh? :lol:

I've had both, but both are dead easy to sort out (although the heatshield can be straightened with your bare hands, no tools required!)

Did you bed in the brake pads yet? IIRC, you should brake gently from about 40mph to standstill, then brake hard from 50, 60, then 70mph to take the glaze off the pads and get them 'worn in'. :salute:

after my car came back from its MOT last week, which included new front brake pads, the front driver side was squeaking and went when i braked...it went after a couple of days though so its must have been slightly rubbing somewhere intially

Hi all. I've had the same problem on the offside front after changing the discs and pads on my G60. I fitted genuine Brembo discs and Jurid pads as recommended by GSF, I cleaned the calipers and applied copperease to the appropriate places. It will most certainly be due to the pads as they bed in. Strange it doesn't happen to both sides though. Three times now I have dismantled the caliper and cleaned off the pads and each time for a while everything was fine. Thus proving the point. Now they are squeeking again! I am beginning to think that these pads are too hard. My son on the other hand has had no problem at all since we changed the pads on his 16v. He chose EBC ultimax pads. These are slotted and chamfered with a softer coating for faster bedding in. I think I should have invested the extra few pounds.!

Bedding in is very important to remove any glaze from the pad surface when new, and to ensure optimal friction - this can also be done at any time when the pad surface becomes glassy or squeaky. Give it a go :wink:

As it is such a lovely day I had both windows down and was cruising along, and guess what... yes, the passenger front wheel was squeaking :roll: *sigh*

Popped that side up on an axle stand when I got home, removed the wheel, undid the lower caliper bolt with a 13mm and 15mm spanner and flipped the caliper up out of the way, brushed the old copper grease/brake dust goo off the back of the pads and caliper runners, then re-greased them with new copper slip.

Caliper back together and wheel back on, and the squeak is gone :grin: From clean hands to clean hands, about 40 minutes.