Sign in to follow this  
blackcorrado

master cylinder

can someone just tell me what would happen if the master cylinders gone? would it just let air into the hydralic system and thats it? because i have no air in my system and clutch peddles got pressure to engage gear but as soon as i try pulling away the clutch is rooted to the floor and i have to pull it up again,its like the biting point gets lower and i cant get it out of gear untill it stalls. while moving i have to change gear like a f1 driver so the peddle dont stay down, also if i rest my foot on the peddle while stationary it slowly travels down to the floor also, this is supposed to be my runabout and im spending more on it then my project car its driving me mad.

ive just replaced my slave and rubber hose and its no different.

Dude, that sucks. If your master cyl has gone then either it won't be exerting pressure at all (doesn't sound like your problem), or it will let air into the circuit with each gearchange so that the pedal goes veeeeery limp :camp:

I ended up replacing the slave, hydraulic hose and master cylinder (in that order) before I got good pedal back, and then discovered that my clutch friction plate had disintegrated as well :bad-words:

Hope you don't have such an ordeal! Looking on the bright side though, you won't have to worry about the hydraulics again... :roll: :lol:

Drop me a PM if you need advice in fitting any of those bits, as the process is still fresh in my head! Or read my Member's Gallery thread.

Edit: A good indicator of a busted master is when you bleed the system at the slave cylinder - if you can't get rid of all the fine frothy bubbles, regardless of how many dozen times you pump the pedal/how much fluid you run through it, then the master is probably letting the air in.

Good luck :thumb right:

this is what im asking, theres no air getting in at all.. the pedel aint going limp like when theres air in the system thats whats confusing. it just gets stuck down, really weird

I ended up replacing the slave, hydraulic hose and master cylinder (in that order) before I got good pedal back, and then discovered that my clutch friction plate had disintegrated as well :bad-words:

Where did you go about locating a Master Cylinder? I am trying to find one for a VR, according to VW they are discontinued and they won't have any again, Eurocar parts don't have them, and the guy at GS&F laughed at me, they have had an order on them from Germany since November.

Looks like i'm stuffed :(

Dave - i'd try VW again, I doubt they'd make a part like a clutch master cylinder obselete, they fit loads of cars!

GSF do sell them tho - part number 71681C £87+vat, free delivery

ECP number is 136440100 £94+vat

Ok - just checked with TPS and there are 9 in the country so available next day

358 721 388 £66.77 + vat

(the number above is for a late 93-95 Corrado ie VR6)

No idea what you were trying to buy Therapor!!!

I was going by the VW part number, which is: 358721401. Master Cylinder for a manual transmission, this part was made obsolete in Jan of this year.

GS&F and VW both confirmed this, but I have just managed to track one down in an LCV service centre in Croydon (they used to sell cars 'back in the day'). They are shipping it to me.

Thanks for the info though :)

Hi mate - I don't think thats the right part number as all the VR's got the later (shorter) one...

Unless yours is a really early VR is it?

mine is a bastardised VR, semi facelift (mid '93). It has the facelift exterior, and interior, but is on a dizzy. We got the later one delivered this morning and that was wrong, which is why I had this long hunt today. The earlier one is on the part number I gave above, and was discontinued 5-6 months ago :(

Weird, yours should be the late on... they don't look interchangeable then I take it???

^Always wondered as the clutches on later cars always seem lighter...

Weird, yours should be the late on... they don't look interchangeable then I take it???

^Always wondered as the clutches on later cars always seem lighter...

as you say, the length seems to be an issue so they aren't interchangable from what we could see

Mines fixed, it was the Master Cylinder, I managed to get a replacement and fitted it, and everything is sorted (not everything of course, but the clutch is)