stevef182

vr6 start problem - ignition switch or starter motor??

every now and again my vr wont start, it wont even fire..nothing..but it only happens occasionally.

when i turn the ignition on i can hear the fuel pump prime and all relevant lights come on but it wont turn over, there is literally nothing.. so im guessing its either the ignition switch or the starter motor..i can hear a clicking coming from the dash when i turn the ignition and a faint buzz which im guessing is coming from the ignition switch, which leads me to believe its the starter motor but this is only a guess??

any help welcome as i think the guys at work are getting sick of bump starting me!!

Yeah the switch wears and it wont quite click over onto the last stage even when the keys fully turned, Id always look into probs with the switch before the starter, as I said I change loads of switches and not many starters. but without looking at the car I cant be 100% sure.

Have you tried 'jiggling' the key when this happens??

If it's just started happeningmore in the hot weather I'd say it's mre likely to be the starter solenoid sticking but i'd still change the switch anyway if it's not one of the new black 6N0 parts.

ive got the same problem on my g60, bought a new ignition switch and swapped the stater for the one off my 16v and it still did it. i did notice my earth strap from the battery was going to the starter motor mounting bolt rather than the bracket on the gearbox like the 16v. swapped it to the correct place yesterday and its been fine (fingers crossed). it was wierd because if you jumped it from another car it would start straight away! (its got a new battery too)

Have you tried 'jiggling' the key when this happens??

If it's just started happeningmore in the hot weather I'd say it's mre likely to be the starter solenoid sticking but i'd still change the switch anyway if it's not one of the new black 6N0 parts.

yeah i have given it a right good wiggle and nothing..but then 15 mins later i try and it starts..and it has definately just started happening since the sun has been out! but as you said maybe repalce the switch first and see if it cures it, although ive heard the switches are a right pain in the arse to change??

does anyone know if there is anything i can do to test which part is faulty next time it happens??

if you change the switch and it happens again get some one to put a multimeter from earth to the red/black wire on the starter. turn the key.if you dont get battery voltage at the meter theres a wiring fault.if you do its the starter or solenoid

if you change the switch and it happens again get some one to put a multimeter from earth to the red/black wire on the starter. turn the key.if you dont get battery voltage at the meter theres a wiring fault.if you do its the starter or solenoid

thanks mate, but have already checked that and got battery voltage so is definately not a wiring fault..i meant is there any way of telling wether its the starter motor or ignition switch??

erm the only other thing i can think of is to get a cable from the battery positive and touch it to where the red/black is on the starter.So you will be bypassing the switch in a way.

^ Deffo the soleniod on the starter motor thats gone there, new exchage starter from VW is the way to go!

to be honest i think that is what i would have changed first anyways as it seemed much more the likely culprit due to the sympotms, but out of interest what makes you say that it is definately the soleniod/starter motor?

to be honest i think that is what i would have changed first anyways as it seemed much more the likely culprit due to the sympotms, but out of interest what makes you say that it is definately the soleniod/starter motor?

Just the way it's got worse in the hot weather and the fact it's sometimes ok after 15 mins and also that your getting the 12v feed from the ignition switch to the plug down there... can't really be anything else unless you have a (very) bad connection somewhere on the battery circuit.

Next time it happens and refuses to do anything, get a large breaker bar or pipe and hit the solenoid with it (hard)

Just the way it's got worse in the hot weather and the fact it's sometimes ok after 15 mins and also that your getting the 12v feed from the ignition switch to the plug down there... can't really be anything else unless you have a (very) bad connection somewhere on the battery circuit.

Next time it happens and refuses to do anything, get a large breaker bar or pipe and hit the solenoid with it (hard)

ok will do..thanks for your help mate..gonna put up a wanted post just incase anyone has one spare but if not will do the exchange starter from VW.

This may be my problem as my car is not starting, it would after trying the key a few times and now does nothing.

Where is the solonoid on the starter, so i can go and take my anger out on the bugger.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow the thick red battey lead down onto the starter body. The small cylinder unit. :)

Case of my favorite 'starter motor relay mod'! Since relaying power directly to the starter solenoid not had the dredded hot start click since

"Since relaying power directly to the starter solenoid not had the dredded hot start click since " aha sorry but how do i do that?

I only worked out where it was today.

I know little about car but always fix mine myself, hence why its sitting not woring at the moment.

I will have a look at it gie it a whac see if it helps, would it be best to ust change this?

As at the moment my car ust clicks at me, its the 12 relay, number 67 which is clicking.

Also, how do i remove the starter, ive rear i may have to remove the drive shaft so as to access it, is this true?

I have a 1.8 16v also, if anyone has done this please help.

Cheers RW1

thanks mate, it is annoying i have to say.

I also have a strange buzzing coming from what i think might be the distributor, what would this mean?

that or its from the coil pack, both close and im on a main road so its hard to hear which one is making the buzzing.

Too many buzzing noises on the car at the moment

:@