Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Is the rear crossmember the same on both 16v and VR6

Ive converted my rado to vr spec, only thing still original is the rear crossmember/axle. I now need to change the rear bushes because the rear end feels slack. Now I'm pretty sure the original axle is narrower than the vr. am I right?

Original axle is 2.0 16v on a 1992 car. If they are different how much difference track wise is there? Might just rebuilt a vr axle off the car to reduce down time, but the vr axles will be harder to track down so if they are all the same I will be able to get the axle easier.

thanks

well the 4cyl corrados definitely have a different part number for the rear beam, and correspondingly have a different (mk2 golf) rear axle bush, the VR6 has a mk3 rear beam which is definitely used on the GTI, GTI 16v and VR6 mk3's and from ETKA it looks like the same part is used on any mk3 with rear disks, I'm not sure if that corresponds to 5 stud rather than 4 stud mk4's though, it's possible some of the GL type trims had rear discs but 4 stud wheels?

Anyway a basic mk3 GTI 8v should have the beam you need :)