Sign in to follow this  
radness

Rare starting issue / key issue

Hi guys,

In the past 3 weeks i've had trouble starting the car twice, basically it turns over ok but the revs go real low and the car kind of splutters like it's struggling for fuel, the first time it did this was in the evening after leaving my car sitting for 8 hours, it just died once i had started due to the low revs. Eventually i thought about starting it while pressing the gas pedal to keep the revs above 1.5k this worked and after about 5-10 seconds it started fine. This happened again yesterday and it happened at the same time of the day, after leaving the car for 8 hours and returning in the evening, again it required that i gave it gas while starting it up as i could sense it was about to stall/die (was sitting in neutral). What would you suggest I look at?

Another issue is, sometimes when i insert my key it won't turn in the ignition, i tried reinserting it about 6 times and on the 7th try it was able to turn the ignition, is it common for the ignition lock to cause issues or should i look at replacing my key? (i haven't yet tried my spare key, need to go and locate it i suppose! :D)

thanks

Ps it's a 94 16v 9a corrado

Yeah get the key copied, preferably the less worn of the 2 and get a genuine Key from VW.

I'd get an ignition switch while your at it so you know it's good altho I think the starting issue is more likely to be engine related

I tried the spare key when i couldn't turn the ignition key and it made no difference, i assume there must be something sticking inside this. How hard is it to replace, will i need new keys aswell?

The other morning i spent about 7 minutes inserting&removing the key until it finally turned :(

Wouldn't like this to happen if i was being chased by a mad man lol.

The engine problem hasn't occurred again, i think i worked out what was wrong, as it's in the evening (when im in a rush to get out of work!) i was turning the key without waiting a second or two for the fuel pump to pressurize. lol, from the sound of it, it seems to take 2-3 seconds before it goes silent again.