Sign in to follow this  
larkin

how to tell what brakes i have?

Hi there folks...

This may sound liuke a stupid question but.. how can I tell what brakes I have?

My front right caliper was pretty badly damaged last time I had to change the fluid. the bleed nipple was siezed up and had to be tapped out causing some thread damage to the caliper.. The new nipple worked ok but i know its going to cause me problems again at some stage.. I'm thinking of sourcing a pair of replacements calipers and overhauling and painting them to fit at the next fluid change for peace of mind.

anyway

The car is a 1994 2.0 16v with 4 stud wheels

according to vagcat it could be one of two options:

1. disc brakes / front / KR,9A,2E,ADY

disc brake with caliper mark ii / 256X20MM GIRLING / KR,9A,2E,ADY

or

2 disc brakes / front / PG,ABV

disc brake with caliper mark ii / 280X22MM GIRLING / PG,ABV

so what the quickest way i can tell if I have the 256 or the 280 discs... also what other cars in the scrap yard might be able to provide me with replacement calipers? can i fit a later golf caliper?

any advice appreciated

cheers,

barry

Tape measure???? the number refers to mm's i believe

I hear MK4 golf brakes are an easy upgrade anyway

Hi there folks...

This may sound liuke a stupid question but.. how can I tell what brakes I have?

My front right caliper was pretty badly damaged last time I had to change the fluid. the bleed nipple was siezed up and had to be tapped out causing some thread damage to the caliper.. The new nipple worked ok but i know its going to cause me problems again at some stage.. I'm thinking of sourcing a pair of replacements calipers and overhauling and painting them to fit at the next fluid change for peace of mind.

anyway

The car is a 1994 2.0 16v with 4 stud wheels

according to vagcat it could be one of two options:

1. disc brakes / front / KR,9A,2E,ADY

disc brake with caliper mark ii / 256X20MM GIRLING / KR,9A,2E,ADY

or

2 disc brakes / front / PG,ABV

disc brake with caliper mark ii / 280X22MM GIRLING / PG,ABV

so what the quickest way i can tell if I have the 256 or the 280 discs... also what other cars in the scrap yard might be able to provide me with replacement calipers? can i fit a later golf caliper?

any advice appreciated

cheers,

barry

They should be 256mm x 20mm

All the 4 cylinder engines apart from the g60 got 256mm brakes

the 280mm disks are fitted to g60's (PG) and vr6's (ABV)

and the 256mm disks and calipers from a mk2 golf gti should be the same.

all advise above should see you through; its easy to measure the diameter of the disc. The 256 disc is for the 2.0L corrado. However it is possible for the previous owner to have fitted the 280mm G60 discs, and therefore carriers too; therefore 256 calipers would not sit correctly to the disc. Therefore, measure up. 256 is a good bet though.

KR and 9A are both the 2.0L. The KR is pre-CAT, pre 1992. You'll know which yours is; it'll be a 9A I bet.

Being a 9A, it shares a lot of bits with the Passat of a date. Worth buying the Pink Haynes manual... honestly!

cheers,

I think mine is the 9A alright.. it has the cat etc etc..

there is a 95 passat with a 1.8l engine in the local scrapyard, i havent checked what size disc is on it or anything but they want

I think the mk4 brake upgrade everyone talks about is just for the rear calipers, thats what i have, which are just an aluminium version of the normal ones and less prone to seizing.

I would imagine fitting mk4 fronts would be a bit of a challenge as you would probably need different hubs, disks and calipers, if its even possible.

Early mk2 GTi calipers are still 239s people, don't get a set if you need some for your Raddo as they will be way too small!

:salute:

50 Euros? Where are you, Ireland?

Think upgrading and swapping your old calipers for reconditioned G60 ones at GSF are not much more; practically brand new. The cost comes when you add up the cost of new discs and carriers and pads. Bummer

yea ireland..

so if i get the g60 gfs ones does that mean i would have to get new discs and carriers and pads?

are the g60 4 or 5 stud?

Yeah get G60 or (corrado) VR6 calipers / carriers, same 54mm piston size as the ones you have at the moment so master cylinder will be fine etc...

Then you will just need new G60 (4 stud) discs and pads + might as well get some braided hoses

hiya i know this might not be a whole lot of use but i got a set of TT 312 Callipers and carriers that had done -30k for £100 so 50 euros a peice soudns v steep (o and my local scrappy quoted £50 for a pair of rear mk4 callipers still on a -60k car)