Sign in to follow this  
JimboBucks

Gearbox Woes! - Wont select first, second, reverse

Over the weekend, unfortunately, my gearbox has taken a knock, some delightfull little sh** :censored: decided for whatever reason to leave a load of rocks strewn accross the road. They were obviously bigger than they looked, and clouted my box as i went over them.

The impact appears to have been on some sort of spigot protruding from the right hand side (as you look at it from the front of the car) of the box, with a covering plate bolted over it, any1 know quite what this is/what it could have moved internally?

Currently cant select first, second or reverse, however third, fourth and fifth seem fine, slightly stiffer than usual, but select OK, again any suggestions?

I'm trying to work out if it's even worth attempting to get the box repaired, or to just stat looking for a replacement, so any suggetsions as to whats causing the problem would be much appreciated.

Or if someone has a second hand box for a 2.0 16v going for a good price would be very interested! As a local gearbox place just quoted me £700 to rebuild mine :(

Cheers in advance for any help

James

I've just been reading the thread on adjusting the linkages at the internal end, I hope and pray it's that simple! Will take a look tonight, but should any1 read this and have any other suggestions it would be much appreciated!!

well sounds like it might have just knocked your selector cable out of position so before you do anything have a play with it to see if you can get it changing properly again, if not this is a prefect excuse to get some gear box modifications :grin: always look on the bright side

Lol cheers mate, yeh i just found that thread talking about it, I'm hoping it's that simple! Just shelled out £400 odd quid on a load or re-wiring, as the previous owned appears to have had Stevie Wonder rewire the ECU using a 1800 loom and some housold flex!!

Your description sounds like the end of the gear selector shaft off the top of my head.

That was my first thought (selector rod) abd having just had a quick look, i'm now pretty sure it is, isn't the selector rod supposed to click up vertically when you try and change into first or second? Cos it's not, and having had a better look tonight i dont think it's selecting 5th either, so thats what makes me think it's probably rather the rod than adjusting the selector cable. Anyone know how difficult a job it is to get the selector rod out to check it out?

Alslo quite what is held in place by that blanking plate on the underside of the box? Anynything to be wary of when taking it off? Still just trying to figure out whether it's worth attempting to repair the box, or just replace it (assuming i can source one soonish!)

Cheers again all, lol just want my car back on the road! :(

what model rado do you have out of interest?

It's just a 2.0 16v, nothing interesting i'm affraid! The plan was to just get it running well then get saving for a 20v T conversion. Tho at the moment the C is bankrupting me!

I'm in the middle of fitting a Peloquin lsd into my gearbox,i've got another in bits so if you need any bits give me a shout :D

I'm in the middle of fitting a Peloquin lsd into my gearbox,i've got another in bits so if you need any bits give me a shout :D

Would be very interested mate, where abouts are you based?

I will have a better idea of what parts i might be needing by the weekend, going to get the box off and appart, so i will let you know.

But hopefully in theory it's just the selector rod and some associated parts, and probably the spigot plate from the underside of the box casing.

Anyone know how difficult a job it is to get the selector rod out to check it out?

take the cables off then there is two bolts attaching the rod to the box, nice n easy :D

Very happy to say, after a weekends tinkering it's all sorted! Basically that spigot plate was bent in on it's self, stopping the selector rod moving vertically. Straightened it out, and all was fine!

Cheers for the help guys.