Sign in to follow this  
jslootweg

Clutch cover bolts

its just a standard 12 point socket, the type you normally use for hex head bolts, i think its a 10mm for the clutch.

if you have expensive sockets, then chances are they are six-sided/faced inside (on the bit that turns the bolt).

cheaper sockets (as a rule) have loads of little cut outs that go round the outside, just like the bolt yoiu are looking at. i you get hold of the right size socket with all the little cut-outs round the edge, rather than one that looks like the shape of a normal bolt head when you look inside, then that should do the job for you.

sorry i know that's a really unclear way of describing what i mean, but i'm not sure how else to say it.....

the reason more expensive sockets don't have so many points round the edges is that they won't round off the head anywhere near as easily as the multipoint jobbies (as far as i'm aware)

no one should be able to round of a clutch plate bolt, they're not exactly torqued up very high! Six-sided hub nut sockets are awesome though :clap:

As already mentioned, should be a 9 or 10mm socket.

It really has nothing to do with them being expensive or cheap sockets, pretty much all brands do both types, flat drive and multi point, flat drive are better for getting out tight bolts as they are less likely to round off the head, multi point are more convenient in tight spaces where you may not be able to get much of a turn on a bolt, they give you double the amount of possitions to grip the head of the bolt, and can also be used on the multi point bolts as above.

my mate who is a big snap on fan has the full range of sockets in metric and imperial in flat drive and multi point and snap on cant really be described as cheap :lol:

It really has nothing to do with them being expensive or cheap sockets, pretty much all brands do both types, flat drive and multi point, flat drive are better for getting out tight bolts as they are less likely to round off the head, multi point are more convenient in tight spaces where you may not be able to get much of a turn on a bolt, they give you double the amount of possitions to grip the head of the bolt, and can also be used on the multi point bolts as above.

my mate who is a big snap on fan has the full range of sockets in metric and imperial in flat drive and multi point and snap on cant really be described as cheap :lol:

all snap on stuff :shock: very very nice.

yeah fair one, i was just going on what i've seen in general, but what you said makes total sense, cheers

personally i dont really rate it any more than halfords professional sockets, i have snapped a snap on and teng 3/8 ratchet trying to undo a bolt and the halfords one coped with it fine, fair enough i did have the tube handle from a trolley jack on the end of them :lol: but the point is the halfords ones cope with that sort of abuse.

I also prefer the handle design on the halfords pro stuff seems more comfortable to use.

and it's a lot easier to swap a halfords socket if you damage it, walk in, hand them the broken one, they hand you a new one, job done, rather than having to send it away or call your snap on rep to bring a new one.

although the ratchet handle screwdrivers are very good.

my friend has got all halfords pro stuff and i have to agree - most of it is actually pretty impressive for the money you pay for it considering its got a lifetime guarantee.

my toolkit consists 99% of signet stuff, which i'm very happy with - not broken anything yet :)

and yeah those ratchet screwdrivers are lovely - i've got the signet equivalent and its really good. also it looks identical to my friend-s snap-on jobby, but it's probably not quite as nice (maybe)

although the ratchet handle screwdrivers are very good.

These aren't actually snap-on tho - made by a company called Palmera, superb quality!