Sign in to follow this  
andyherd

HID troubles

Hey guys,

Just fitted a HID kit to my C. Got it off ebay, never used before. It's for the H4 driving bulbs. Here's the before and after shots.

Before

20.jpg

After

22.jpg

I'm having trouble with the main beam now though. When I pull the left stalk to turn on my main beam the HID's go out. I've tried different wiring setups but nothing seems to work. It looks like a previous owner has installed the uprated wiring loom but I don't know if this is interfering with my new setup.

Any help would be much apprieciated as this is really beginning to annoy me now

Cheers

Andy

I would imagine HIDs draw a lot more power than normal bulbs don't they? I think you will indeed need to check your wiring, perhaps they can't deliver enough current or something.

I think a start would be to take out the uprated standard headlight loom, then at least you can rule that out as an issue. :salute:

this is normal, when you switch the main beam on the dipped beam switches off. you could modify the wiring to the relays for your uprated loom and use a diode to overcome the issue.

I would imagine HIDs draw a lot more power than normal bulbs don't they? I think you will indeed need to check your wiring, perhaps they can't deliver enough current or something.

I think a start would be to take out the uprated standard headlight loom, then at least you can rule that out as an issue. :salute:

hids only require 35w max to run so there a lot less than a standard halogen ,

most good quality bixenon kits come already equiped with a diode to leave dip on as the main beam is achieved by a solenoid moving the bulb glass back,

it sound like you bought a h4 with halogen main , which requires a diode as already mentioned to keep the dip alive when you switch to main .

i have just purchaced a HID kit, Could you tell me where you put the 2 ballast boxes as i coudnt find any where in the VR engine bay as theres no room!

thanks

sorry i cant put it any diiferent, but a good guy or gal on electrics will be able to sort it for you .

i have just purchaced a HID kit, Could you tell me where you put the 2 ballast boxes as i coudnt find any where in the VR engine bay as theres no room!

thanks

i put one in front of the air box on the inner wing and the otherside on the inner wing too in roughly the same place , there better to fit with the lights out , make sure you test fit everything first.

give me 10minutes i will go and take some pics