Sign in to follow this  
krnau

about oil temp jumping :S

Hello. The problem I will describe is about oil temp reading in MFA.

My oil temp is about 110 - 115ºC on W I N T E R. on summer, it goes up to 138 :shock: :shock: , then down to 120, 116, 124, 132 etc....

Water temp stays at 90-92ºC all the time....

I have connected earth wires from minus of the batery to head, and from head to chassis and it has made no difference :(

I also replaced oil temp sender for a brand new one, and no difference... :(:((:(:(:(

yes it is a 16v, sorry

and what you say, is exactly what I meant :D

how can I locate this? could you place a photo, please? My English is not so good at technical words :help:

looking at the engine from the front, you should have an earth strap from the right rear cam cover bolt, which connects to the bulkhead. These straps flex as the engine rocks so eventually fray and break, or sometimes they just get left off when a cam cover seal is changed.

and you say it should go from there to the negative of the battery? directly? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Well, if it is so, then it is not actually in my car :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

so tonight it will be operated :norty:

what is the bulkhead and where is the ignition coil? :confused4:

you can kill me if you want :brickwall:

the wire is just a copper earth strap, about 1cm wide, usually black plastic coated

the ignition coil is mounted at the back of the engine bay, to the left of the water tank (coolant expansion tank)

the ignition coil is a cylinder about 15cm long, 6 cm diameter and provides the spark to the distributor, follow the centre lead from the distributor to the back of the engine bay and you'll find the coil :)

Is there anything else that can cause this? Mine also suffers this issue, and the strap is fine. I also fitted an extra earth from the head to the battery which didn't help.

well now, I have just connected the earth wire... tomorrow I will see if it works or not :D

I have also tinted front windows 8) and repaired a door handle :D

yes it is where I plugged it ... thanks. I only asked just in case :)

I have the "wiring" (or the 3 or 4 wires :lol: ) diagrams for k-jetronic. my wife works in volkswagen and has given me a copy of the vw repair manual :) I will have a look with her, but it seems not to be a quick job... if everything seems OK, we will change all wiring...

summer has come once more... and so have my oil temp reading problems :(

any help will be appreciated :)