Sign in to follow this  
joby

Cross Drilled Front Discs

Is anyone Running Cross Drilled discs, Been thinking off changing my front discs and fancy cross drilled any ideas and what type of pads (1.8 16v) :?: :idea:

My preference for pads would be Pagid fast road or the ordinary ones if you are never going on a track. After that EBC greenstuff are good too. Again I'd say they are more of a race pad than a road one.

Get your brake fluid changed too, especially if you have no idea if/when it was last done.

I had drilled Zinc disks on my Golf from Dubsport. They were good but I felt they wore out pretty quick. I now have some std VAG 280s that I got from a mate at Awesome. They came off a customers C, he was having drilled fitted and there was nowt wrong with the ones coming off!! I have done a couple of trackdays and have no complaints about them.

I personally think they are a bit of a pub talk think really. The benifits not really outweighing the cost.

If you want better brakes get yourself some 280s off a G60 or a VR. Might be a few more quid but certainly a bigger improvement over 256s.

Of course thats just my opinion. And opinions are like ar$eholes, everybody has one! :D

Cheers

Gavin

Got some Brembo drilled f.discs on mine. Don't really make any difference at all to the brake efficiency. Seem to wear thin very quickly too. I've had mine on for 6 months (7k) and they're starting to wear quite badly !!

I have had 37000 miles out of my vag front discs and still going strong. Just bought Pagid pads for the rear and front. Still got a few more K left in the front pads thou.

I have had 37000 miles out of my vag front discs and still going strong. Just bought Pagid pads for the rear and front. Still got a few more K left in the front pads thou.

Maybe a lesson for us all Tony

got my g60 booked in for monday, gonna buy std vag disks and pads £112 all in inv the vat, same sort of price as the Zimmerman (c/d) which I was thinking about but came round to thinking cant de much better for the price than std really?

ive been running EBC turbo groove discs for about 2 yrs just about to replace them.

they have been good and took all the leaning on that the hills around me need.

green stuff kill discs-retain too much heat. killed 2 sets of std ones for me.

im running crap 8 quid ECP ones now and they are ok for 8 qiud.

I´ve got Black Dimond grooved disc´s i think and Pagid fast road pads and i can fault them.

i´m going to replace the lot next year with some more grooved discs as they skim the pad to stop it glazzing

I had drilled Zinc disks on my Golf from Dubsport. They were good but I felt they wore out pretty quick. I now have some std VAG 280s that I got from a mate at Awesome. They came off a customers C, he was having drilled fitted and there was nowt wrong with the ones coming off!! I have done a couple of trackdays and have no complaints about them.

If you want better brakes get yourself some 280s off a G60 or a VR. Might be a few more quid but certainly a bigger improvement over 256s.

Cheers

Gavin

Hey Gav

Would the 280's work with 16v calipers? or would I have to upgrade to G60 calipers?

Bally, you can use Ur-Quattro caliper carriers(second hand) I believe, to space the 16v calipers out enough, or various people like TSR make spacer brackets.

If you use the 16v calipers though, you may need to file down pads to fit the thicker 280mm disks.

David.

Cheers

Gavin

Hey Gav

Would the 280's work with 16v calipers? or would I have to upgrade to G60 calipers?

Bally, Davidwort is right, you need to skim the pads down as 280s are 2mm thicker than 256s. Works good enough tho. Less miles out of the pads obviously.

Getting the brakets on their own might be a prob. Alledgedly Dub no longer sell them. Secondhand might be ok. early VR6 Golf Corrados and MK3 16V had them. VR6 Passat too probably. If you find the brackets might as well have the calipers IMO.

Gavin

Cheers for the replies guys..

Hey David hows tricks mate?

I remeber you said I'd need brackets now..

saying that, thew pagid pads on the car have done about 3k now so won't need to skim them?

really fancy 280mm discs... :D

Bally, i've got G60 brakes on mine - just the brackets and disks with 16v pads. I'd strongly advise to get the calipers as well as it was a fair bit of hassle getting mine on. Bit of a bodge really it seemed, shouldn't really bodge brakes :lol:

Joby, I have Ate power discs with pagid fast road pads and there good...when warmed up. Coming off the motorway and trying to come to a stop can seem a bit scary :shock: Before you go and buy fast road pads, think about what you use your car for. If say you do loads of motorway miles i'd say stick with normal pads.

Thats just my experience anyway

Hey Rob, cheers for the reply..

I'll add some calipers to my list of bits for new year :D

hows the car BTW?

Guys i know this has just been mentioned but the best mod i did was get the Audi Ur caliper carriers for £50

Which pushed my 16v calipers out to use the g60 discs and u still use the 16v pads and bingo alot better breaking :lol: :D :p

also gsf do a very good kit for about £100

trust me mate alot cheaper than trying to get g60 setup and does the same job

Ive been running this setup for 1 year and im very happy thou i want more stopping power now hence the brembo kit :D

the only difference between doing it this way of the g60 setup is you need 16v pads as the g60 ones are 2mm thicker so you would need to rub them down to fit other wise there identical

If you want to go one better ive heard that Audi Ur setup uses 2 piston calipers wich are meant to work aswell but ive never done it myself

Nice one mate :D I keen on the setup like yours..

What does the kit from GSF consist of? does it come with spacer brackets etc?

no the kit from gsf is just the discs and pads

zimmeman discs with pagid fast road pads

The ur carriers ull have to find of a breakers yard but i know one guy on pvw sells them

other wise you use everything else off your car

ross

yes im upgrading to the to the brembo's soon just havent got round it

sadly thou ive sold it all to my mate who has a 2L 16v

but if you look on pvw classified ull be able to see the guy you can order them from