Sign in to follow this  
red-rado

Gear shift cable snapped (quick question *Urgent*)

Last night my shift cable snapped on me. Its the cable on the right hand side as your looking at the engine bay. Is this the shift cable or the selector cable? I need to know so i can order a new one.

Cheers.

It's the shift cable (one nearest battery) and it's the same as amk3 GTI/16v/VR and if you can find one with the alloy oval end rather that the original steel rectangular end second hand then they're very strong and a second hand one would do you fine (IRO a tenner when I've asked local scrappies)

unless you cut a small notch in the lip of the gearlever opening inside the cabin to remove the gearlever pivot and plate you'll have to drop the exhaust to get at it from underneath, gearbox end is a doddle though, one nut and bolt and a circlip on the support bracket.

if you search the C club of canada or dieselgeek there's a good guide somewhere to removing the gearlever pivot and mech from inside the car somewhere, it just requires a tiny bit of dremelling of the opening under the gearshift boot as i said, nothing structural just a 2cm lip of metal

Ok to make things easier I have found a whole gear change mechanism (the lever etc) including both cables. Is it just a case of dropping the exhaust down and unbolting the old mechanism, then feeding the new cables through and bolting the new mechanism in place?

if it's in good nick I'd just bolt up the whole thing (removing the exhaust to get at it) rather than messing around with clipping in cables to the old mechanism

What a slag of a job that was. Took around 2 hours 30 minutes from start to finish. Still having a bit of trouble setting up the cables to the gearbox and matching the gears.

*Note to self - Shift slowly when next trying to make a saxo look silly. :brickwall: