Sign in to follow this  
remix

over heating/pipe blowing off. HELP!

right i know theres afew posts on heating issues etc here already and ive read through most but am still clueless to my problem.

basically:

after driving the car to the mot place(had been off road for 2years previous to me buying it) i pulled into the petrol station and steam billowed out form the engine bay, had a look and found one of the coolant(im guessing) pipes which enters to inside the car from the block had popped off and pissed water and steam out.now if im right is this pipe and the one next to it what give heat when u put the heaters on inside the car?

if so i think i have a heater problem/blockage.

now for my real question, can i simply remove both of these pipes from entering the car and somehow join them to each other with an extra piece of pipe bypassing inside the car?to prove it is a blockage or fault with the heater part?

or can i jus block both ends?

any help, advice anything will be great as i really want to bring this baby back to her former glory and this is disheartening after the work gone into it do far

many thanks in advance

o and PS its a 2.0 16v if that helps

I wouldn't block them up if I was you, there's a fair bit of pressure in them.

How were the hoses attached to the pipe, maybe the jubilee worked it's way loose? Entirely possible if it's been sat unloved for 2 years.

Any engine bay pics?

cant be sure on before hand but i clipped it back on properly and by time i got home it had popped agen, i even herd the pop from in the car then the steam followed so it seems like it was slowly building up pressure as if it was blocked.but the pipes themselves r all clear as ive had those off now to check.

il try get some pics up 2mro.

do u think i could link those two pipes, do you know if they are flow and return or hot and cold feeds?

you can link them together, ive done it as a temporary fix as my heater matrix leaked in my valver. dont block them though as coolant wont circualte

kool cheers dude

will have to have a look into that later today

what did u use to link them? some sort of metal, plastic tube end to end then jubilee clip em?

i jus wana do it temp. so i can see if thats all it needs for an mot

i used copper fittings from the plumbing section at b and q lol. You may need to use pipe benders or solder up two 90 degree bends so you can get that u bend. Take a trip down there and see what they have

welll after fitting a piece of flexy heat resistant pipe and filling her up she settled nicely but then the glue i used i forgot it should be heat resistant so when engine got warmer it melted and popped off.need some jubilee clips rele

yea have done this too.did bubble up for a while then settled.

how much pressure should this system be at, i mean should it have the force to pop the clamped down pipes off if there is a blockage in the car, i think the only reason it came off this second time is because i didnt have any jubilee clips and only used a normal glue, so during the week i shall pick up some clips and give her another go

glue wont be strong enought to hold you coolant pipes mate trust me! best bet is get some straight copper couplers from b&q . push them half into the pipes leading to the matrix and clamp them down with jubilee clips then run the flexi piece you got to each end and also clamp them with jubliee clips.