Sign in to follow this  
krnau

what is k-star?

well, as I have read somewhere( :scratch: ), there is something ( :scratch: ) which gets plugged somewhere ( :scratch: ) that increases k-jetronic of KR engines.

Does anyone know about it?

It's a piggyback 'ecu' for the k-jet system. Depending on which K-star model you have it can be custom mapped to control ignition timing and fueling.

It was initially developed to allow k-jet cars to run properly on lower octane unleaded petrol, when leaded petrol became unavailable.

Do a forum search and you'll get a bit of info on it. Realistically it's pretty old stuff now and the manufacturers couldn't even give me any info on it when I contacted them! So, info and support on it will be zero! :?

It's for the KR, afaik the 9a's were happy enough running on unleaded as standard so didn't need it.

Most tend to be happy enough running on it.

But for those that weren't, when Super leaded was no longer available, the choice was to 'de-tune' the engine by getting the timing adjusted, or to go for the K-star or VSAM routes. :wink:

lol...basically does the same thing as K-star but made by a different company. Milford Microsystems made the K-star iirc (but deny all knowledge of it now :scratch: )

VSAM was just an ignition timing module to adjust the advance curve for running on unleaded 95 or maximising the power on 98+

K-star could be bought in several versions, just altering ignition timing or also using a digifant injector across the warm up regulator fuel lines to alter the control pressure of the system, in effect it allowed you to adjust the fuelling across the rev range rather than just a fixed amount as with adjusting the WUR screw setting, but IIRC it was only in 500rpm increments so it was a bit basic.

I've never really heard of any K-star equipped cars actually making better power than a well set up standard system, but in theory if you have headwork, cams etc. it would allow you to optimise fuelling and ignition timing to get the best you could from any mechanical upgrades.

I think I'd rather megasquirt a valver than fit one of these now though.