Sign in to follow this  
radness

Oil temp 160c

Hi guys,

A good friend of mine fitted the KR cam to my 9a'er. First and only mod i've done so far.

I took it out for a drive for 20 minutes , wasn't horsing it but i noticed it did pull a bit better from 3000 rpm, and felt a bit more lively, however i used the MFA to check the oil temp and it's stuck at 160c, the coiolant is showing around 80c. Before this cam went in the engine only ever showed a max of 115c (due to my radiator switch etc..)

I would assume that 160c is the max value that the temp sensor can report and so it's a fault with it, as surely oil tempature of 160c would cause my coolant temp to go skywards?

I went inside and left the engine off for 20 minutes and after i turned it back on it was still at 160c, i assume something this hot would cool down quick (atlteast by 5-20c in the space of 20 minutes)

Would something be disconnected? The guy that did the cam for me is a good guy and knows his onions and i dont want to go accusing him of anything as im sure he hasn't done anything wrong.but maybe i need the check a wire or something?

The sender for the oil temp is a single pin sender at the back of the head on the passenger side. It's right at the top, near the rocker cover. so could well have been left unplugged when you had the cams changed! :wink:

The sender for the oil temp is a single pin sender at the back of the head on the passenger side. It's right at the top, near the rocker cover. so could well have been left unplugged when you had the cams changed! :wink:

Ah, so the head would need to come off to reconnect it?

no dude, it's on the outside of the head.

you take the little wire, and connect it back up. Well easy :salute:

Thanks, Will have a look under there in the morning. But knowing me i'll be back requesting pictures when i can't find it :norty: lol

Thanks for the tip, you guys are a helpful bunch :D really glad i found this forum!

the wire is green with black tracer, it must be earthing somewhere to make the gauge do that

I haven't had a look yet, but i was thinking about it lastnight while i was trying to get asleep...does anyone else do this?

Anyway, a good bit of oil was spilt on that side of the engine (passenger side) , does oil act as a conductor?

Nope, oil wont conduct; especially for a low amp 12v source like that sender.

Chances are that the wire is hanging down somewhere and is in contact with the block etc. Just take a look back there, will most prob take 30 secs to fix! :wink:

Chances are that the wire is hanging down somewhere and is in contact with the block etc. Just take a look back there, will most prob take 30 secs to fix! :wink:

Yup, located it, wasn't disconnected but the wire got trapped when putting the distrubitator back on, managed to get it out (cable a little damaged but i taped it) and it's now reading correct! :D

thanks a lot for the help guys, i guess 160 is the max our oil temps can ever read :)