Sign in to follow this  
RichieSounds

ribbed belt and pulley on alternator

I've just had a new ribbed belt fitted to my air-con equipped VR6, but it looks like the belt rises on the outer rim of the alternator pulley - not healthy. Does anyone know why that may be? I did have the alternator replaced by a mecahnic a while ago, and he says he did not remove the old pulley from the old alternator. So he slapped on the new alt with the pulley that came with it. Does that sound right to you?

New alt's don't usually come with pulleys so either it's the wrong one or he damaged it taking it off...

Best thing to do is to have a look, you need an M8x80mm bolt to de-tension the belt, nice and easy on a VR!

Had the same proplem a few months ago. After two snapped belts :bad-words: i had the pulley on the alternator changed. The new one is made from some sort of metal and cost around £40 supplied by the garage who fitted it. The old plastic one was worn and the plastic ribbeds on it had become sharp. I also had the tensioner pulley change at the same time. Know all the belts and pulleys are running nice and square with each other. No more problems since :)

ahh cool well thanks for the responses - i'm going to take a note of the alternator model number and call up VW to see which pulley part should be used. I thought it sounded a bit weird that the alternator came with a pulley on it too...

thanks again.