Sign in to follow this  
andyherd

Advice please...........9.5" TH lines and a drop????

Hey guys,

I'm looking to send the car into the bodyshop later this year for a full respray and a few choice changes. While speaking to the owner of the bodyshop I mentioned I would be changing the wheels and lowering the car so would like the arches rolled. He then said I would be better getting the wheels on and the car lowered before he starts any work.

This is where I get a bit worried. I know I want 16" Schmidt TH Lines but I want 9" fronts and 9.5" rears (think the chap on the phone mentioned ET18 on the fronts and ET12 on the rears), with KW Variant 2 coilovers. I accept the arches will need work running such wide wheels but will the car's handling/steering etc. be adversly effected? Tyre-wise I'm going for 205/40 on the front and 215/40 out back. Also does anyone know what sort of arch work will be required? i.e. Will all the arches need rolling and pulling/extending?

Cheers

Yes the handling would change dramatically, no more throwing it around as good, more straight line tram lining, it will be a steady cruiser.

I would imagine for sure they would need pulling out and rolling as the off set on the rear is low and the wheels are so wide, it has been done before A20 LEE ran 9.5" rears on his but had the arches done and im not sure what offset they were.

Yes the handling would change dramatically, no more throwing it around as good, more straight line tram lining, it will be a steady cruiser.

I would imagine for sure they would need pulling out and rolling as the off set on the rear is low and the wheels are so wide, it has been done before A20 LEE ran 9.5" rears on his but had the arches done and im not sure what offset they were.

Do you think that perhaps running 8" fronts and 9" rears would keep the handling relatively similar to standard or would it give the same effect as 9" fronts and 9.5" rears?

Wider wheels will always tram line but obviously by going not as wide the affect will not be as great, i am only talking from what i have heard though not with experiance, but the theory is do you want looks or handling or strike a balance/compromise/trade off between the 2.

Search for A20 LEE for his build thread.

mines got 9j all round wiith 215 40 tyres and it tramlines and torque steers like a biatch!!! having said that it does corner really well due to the nice big footprint :grin:

its still on standard G60 factory suspension at the moment but can only imagine the handling will improve greatly once i eventually get my KW coilovers on it, it wont be mad low as i have only had my rear arches rolled not pulled and there looks to be enough clearance to drop it 40-50mm without any agro, the front might be close on big corners or rough roads though :norty:

I had 9j all round on mine too, and have to agree with AQUA G60, it tramlined like fook. Cornering was pretty good though....and I reckon it looks mint! :lol:

Cheers for the response guys.

Think i'm going go for 8" up front and 9" out back setup, my friends thought I was mad going for 9" up front and 9.5" out back!

Plus Lee (A20 LEE) has told me my arches would need rolled and pulled 1" on the front and 1.5" on the back to fit the larger setup.

I still want to have my arches rolled but does anyone know if they will need pulled as well if I go for 8" up front and 9" out back? The wheel offsets should remain the same as for the wider wheels (ET18 on the front and ET12 on the back) and I won't be going crazy low with the suspension drop just enough so it looks right.

A good proper roll should be fine with those i would have thought, some people seem to get 9's all round with a slight roll on the arches.