Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

Stainless mid/front section onto a Remus backbox.

Bought a 16V a few years ago with a Remus exhaust. Sounds and looks lovely. However a bit of research showed that could only be a backbox coz thats all they do for the 16V. Pretty sure that this means that I wont be getting any power gains, just nice noise and looks.

Is it possible to have the mid and front sections upgraded to help breathing? Who would do this and how much is it likey to be? Is it worth/recommended to do the exhaust manifold at the same time?

Also dont understand cat issues; where is the cat, what does it do, can I have it removed, what does this do/mean?

The cat is the catalytic convertor. All cars made in 1992 (and onwards) are fitted with one. Its a small section of the exhaust that contains various precious metals (hence the high cost for one) that react to the emissions coming out of your engine, and help change those emissions into less harmful ones.

You can have it removed as your car is pre-1992 - should help make your car freer revving and you should get a slight BHP increase! :)

Jim, if it's '90 16V it's a 1.8 KR engine and so won't have a cat to start with! :lol: 8)

ross.taylor, the standard 1.8 16V manifold is pretty good, but responds well to a bit of porting and flowing. The other 2 (3? I forget how many boxes are on a 16V! :roll: ) boxes can be replaced with something like a Miltek or a Magnex system which should help the breathing, but you won't gain many ponies from upgrading the exhaust on a 1.8 16V as it's not particularly restrictive to start with... 8)