Sign in to follow this  
red-rado

Poor fuel economy

Im getting quite poor fuel economy in the valver at the minute. Averaging around 20-30mpg (normally low-mid 20's) driving to the speed limits with mixed town/dual carriageway driving. Is this normal?

The cars had a recent service and seems to pull fairly well. Just the economy is crippling as its a daily driver. The AFM rarely reads above 20mpg (although i know this probably isnt accurate.)

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing such poor economy? Is it a case of just getting the exhaust gases analysed and taking it from there?

Its a 1.8 16v by the way.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

P.S If anyone knows where the outside temperature sensor is i'd also be greatful.

Front bumper area for the temp sensor. Mine's always hanging down :brickwall:

Likely the MFA is reading out. Mine peaks at 12mpg, but recently got an average of 34mpg out of a tank.

DOes your car run spot on? any problems to report at all? Hard to diagnose if it's just had a service plus you say it's pulling cleanly :shrug:

Our one dropped below 30 mpg,

I just changed the fuel filter thats probably the original :lol:

Check the plugs,see how they look too

anyway its back up to 35 and 42 driving it at 40 in 5th :gag:

Car now has 77k on it

I know its had a service, because I serviced it :lol:

The car runs flawlessly when its warm. Has a slight hesitation when its cold but this goes away after a minute or two of running.

Funny you should say about the fuel filter as this is the only thing I havnt changed. I also have a very slight exhaust blow which I am going to sort out tomorrow when I put my magnex rear box on. These are the only things I am aware of at the minute.