Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

Faulty Water Pump??

My car has been losing water for a week or two now and initially thought i had found the problem in the water flange (on side of head). Unfortunately shortly after i still needed to top up fairly regular and on start up my engine has a knockin/tappetty noise even on very hot days.

Today i have a new noise coming from round the alternator/water pump area which is like a spining whoosh/whining noise when i have been driving for say 5 or 10 mins. When i turn the engine off it sounds like the pump winding down to a holt.

Is the water pump the culprate and if it is faulty will it be causing the knockin/tappett noise from start up??

Had tappetts done less than two years ago so hope they not going again!!

Help really apreciated :(

also if it is water pump anything else worth changing while i get the work done??

it's worth whacking in a new thermostat, darn sight easier to fit with the new pump off the car than upside down on the car and while it's all apart you might as well, use a genuine VAG one too for the sake of a couple of quid.

Cheers for reply you will do for me!! New water pump me thinks!! :)

You may also find it's worth checking to see if the inner pulley with the idle bearings is wobbly as hell. Just changed my pump it was leaking water, binned the crap pulley and put a solid one in. All 4 cyl engines use the same pump so the later pulley fits perfectly. I cannot believe how much quieter the bloody engine is now, the pulley was well shot and I put up with it for 2 years!!!! 8)

ive got a water pump for sale, genuine only been on the car for about 4k includes pulley and had a new thermostat, £20 inc delivery

Got one coming thanks mate. Bought a spare engine and box of a pal who put an s3 engine in his. He put a new pump on when just before he took it out.

Cheers though any problems with it i will let you know :)