Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Mates R32 Storm - MAPPED.. by friend&Myself!

looks like your nearly there Ben :)

as for the throttle body, i'm using the standard 12v throttle body, I just made an adaptor plate so it mates up to the R32 manifold.

and if your intrested mate, i will have a kenlowe fan for sale by wednesday/thursday if your intrested.

looks like your nearly there Ben :)

as for the throttle body, i'm using the standard 12v throttle body, I just made an adaptor plate so it mates up to the R32 manifold.

and if your intrested mate, i will have a kenlowe fan for sale by wednesday/thursday if your intrested.

Isn't the 12v TB much smaller? I was planning on ripping out the R32 TB motor and adapting the spline to fit the butterfly mech, then the other end fit the potentiometer, taking both bits from the 12v TB..

and I might be interested in the fan mate, how much?

cheers!

Ben are you running the Emerald with sequential injection and is it configured for an R32?

The answer probably at the moment would be no. I must admit I haven't given it much thought but thinking about it now I see little point as it

well the 12v throttle body cant be that much smaller, as the standard R32 air intake hose is a very very snug fit onto it.

and you can have the fan/adjustable thermostat for £50.

and as for emerald not doing many of these set ups, i'm 99% sure that storm only use Emerald for there R32 conversions.

well the 12v throttle body cant be that much smaller, as the standard R32 air intake hose is a very very snug fit onto it.

and you can have the fan/adjustable thermostat for £50.

and as for emerald not doing many of these set ups, i'm 99% sure that storm only use Emerald for there R32 conversions.

Storm do use the Emerald ecu, both Dave Walker at Emerld and Storm have been running sequentially for a year or so. Better driveability, smoothness and performance aswell as improved fuel consumption and emissions is why.

I have the Emerald pin layout for sequential injection if you want it but the ecu will need re-configuring at Emerald to run it.

Alex

12v bracket will not fit as one piece but someone in the states used the 12v lower half and 24v top half and made a bracket that way... but not worth it when a 2.8 24v bracket does the job and is only 38 quid from the dealer!!

Do you have the part number for the mount Ben?

12v bracket will not fit as one piece but someone in the states used the 12v lower half and 24v top half and made a bracket that way... but not worth it when a 2.8 24v bracket does the job and is only 38 quid from the dealer!!

Do you have the part number for the mount Ben?

if you could post it one here so i could have it too then that would be really appreciated. also the part No. for the 2.8 24v tensioner would be really good if you know it....

thanks very much :D

Pete

Dont worry Ben found them.

022260087D - bracket for alternator

022145299D - belt tensioning damper

thanks very much :thumb right:

You guys beat me to it! Can't get to this forum at work unfortunatly :(

Those are the correct part numbers.. or at least the tensioner is. Will check the bracket one. But they are just early 2.8 24v engine parts! 98 or 99 cars.

Alex,

I would be very interested if thats the case.. was going to sit down and work out the injector and coilpack wiring this evening, but I will wait for the pin layout.. THANKS!!

KADVR6, I was talking about sequential fueling not actually Emerald installations to the R32 engine and yes I'll have the fan off you if my mate hasn't already bought one! Thanks!! PM me so I can get your prefered method of payment chap..THANKS!

cheers guys..

Ben

KADVR6... the 12v TB is defo smaller. The outer casting is similar to the R32 but the inner bore is much larger on the R32 version.

Anyway ripped out the stepper motor and mech on the R32 TB tonight. Had a look at how I'm going to modify it to work. Please to report the center spline is steel which means I can potentially mig weld to it if required. I don't have a tig to hand so welding a bracket to the casing might be a little tricky! But then there is always the option to drill and tap or bolt a bracket to it if required.

Undecided which end the potensiometer is going and which end the throttle connection is going to be but the shaft seems long enough for both, perhaps even on one side, which might be the better idea. However I want to try and keep the spring in tacked so the TB will shut when the throttle pedal is lifted.

Anyway a couple of pics of the inside...

I believe you can use a 12v throttle. Here was a post on edition 38 from RWD19T who knows his stuff!

"a naturally aspirated R32 was mapped using a smaller VR6 throttle body and no further mods done and it made a healthy 283(6)hp (can't remember which it was now) on some very reputable conservativelly calibrated rollers"

I believe you can use a 12v throttle. Here was a post on edition 38 from RWD19T who knows his stuff!

"a naturally aspirated R32 was mapped using a smaller VR6 throttle body and no further mods done and it made a healthy 283(6)hp (can't remember which it was now) on some very reputable conservativelly calibrated rollers"

I'm sure thats the case, not doubting it but I'm going to try and use the larger R32 TB... Should be able to get 300bhp N/A out of these engines with certain simple mods..

8)

I would be very interested if thats the case.. was going to sit down and work out the injector and coilpack wiring this evening, but I will wait for the pin layout.. THANKS!!

Ben,

The wiring diagram that Goose sent you, is for semi-sequential (3 pairs) injection. This, as I understand it, is the most advanced option on the emerald, as there are only 4 injector drivers. You could run fully sequential on engines with 4 cylinders or less, with Emerald.

The diagram is based upon the Storm wiring, as they sent Goose the pin-outs. Going on the earlier remarks in this thread, it seems it's the optimum way to use the emerald with a 6-cyl engine.

However I could be totally wrong..... and the above utter cobblers.

As for power, I've been told just touching 300bhp is possible with the standard cams, a r32 sized throttle body, a "decent" exhaust [whatever one of them is in this instance] and the vvt running maxium overlap, using the emerald management. Like you said, the VR throttle has an appreciably smaller ID.

Ben,

The wiring diagram that Goose sent you, is for semi-sequential (3 pairs) injection. This, as I understand it, is the most advanced option on the emerald, as there are only 4 injector drivers. You could run fully sequential on engines with 4 cylinders or less, with Emerald.

The diagram is based upon the Storm wiring, as they sent Goose the pin-outs. Going on the earlier remarks in this thread, it seems it's the optimum way to use the emerald with a 6-cyl engine.

As for power, I've been told just touching 300bhp is possible with the standard cams, a r32 sized throttle body, a "decent" exhaust [whatever one of them is in this instance] and the vvt running maxium overlap, using the emerald management. Like you said, the VR throttle has an appreciably smaller ID.

Get your mate to sent his ecu to Emerald to be configured for sequential and they will install the additional 3 injector drivers that he needs. This is what I did a while back. Its only an extra 3 wires but it will make all the difference.

The Emerald can have upto 8 injector drivers provided they have been configured to be used by Emerald.

Ben your fax just isn't working bud, and I left the bloody sheet at work will get it scanned and posted on here for tomorrow mate!

Ben,

Get your mate to sent his ecu to Emerald to be configured for sequential and they will install the additional 3 injector drivers that he needs. This is what I did a while back. Its only an extra 3 wires but it will make all the difference.

The Emerald can have upto 8 injector drivers provided they have been configured to be used by Emerald.

Ben your fax just isn't working bud, and I left the bloody sheet at work will get it scanned and posted on here for tomorrow mate!

Hmm, that's interesting to know - I don't know why he wasn't told of this before, as the ECU was bought only recently! I know what you mean about the improvement - a friend had batch (or maybe semi-sequential) on a 1.8t, then switched to sequential, and the difference was instantly obvious. Okay the map was also better, but I've little doubt the injector sequencing helped considerably.

Ben,

Can you remember how much they charged you and do they change the plug at the end of just add 3 wires for you to connect too? I'm interested as long as it doesn't cost too much and take too long to convert the ECU, might get it upgraded to a K3 as well.

Mate I didn't think that fax number worked, sorry. If you are able to scan it, it would be great to send it to my email i sent you. Many thanks for this!!

P.S. Any more info on your build? Looks v.interesting!

Ben

Can you remember how much they charged you and do they change the plug at the end of just add 3 wires for you to connect too? I'm interested as long as it doesn't cost too much and take too long to convert the ECU, might get it upgraded to a K3 as well.

Mate I didn't think that fax number worked, sorry. If you are able to scan it, it would be great to send it to my email i sent you. Many thanks for this!!

P.S. Any more info on your build? Looks v.interesting!

Ben

So long as your ecu is after a certain serial number, check their website, you can have it set to run an R32 sequentially and upgrade to K3, so switchable maps etc for just £30 + vat and courier back to you! Its approximately a week to 10 day turn around also. Its a very good service they have to say the least. All you need to do is pull out and swap over the pins out of the plug.

Here is the pin layout with the VVT control etc.