Sign in to follow this  
cormjah

Blower now works on 1,2&3 but not 4 AND blows STEAM on hot!

Right, this is p*ssing me off! Replaced blower fan fine, soldered (using heat-sinks) thermal fuse in. Now it blows on all settings but 4!? Also, since having the head welded and skimmed, I'm guessing the heater matrix has blown out, since on the *hot* setting fills the car with steam! Anyone got a how to (with pics) for replacing the matrix? Or any pointers for the resistor pack?

Yup that'll be a blown heater matrix. A right pig of a job it is too. I recall the Haynes states you need to remove the entire dashboard on a Rado but I think you can just about do it without. Set aside a whole day though as it's a very labour intensive job!

Can't help on the blower, sorry.

Nick

Look in the knowledge base for info on changing heater matrix. Not too hard to do, just takes time. Did mine in about 3 or 4 hours, and I'm no mechanic.

Who has pictures of actually removing the heater matrix without removing the dash?? Was told its impossible by a mechanic want to prove him wrong!

3 Hours, thats interesting.

I've to do mine next week, so I'll try it without removing the dash and take photo's if I manage it.

I did a mk2 Golf's matrix years ago without removing the dash, not sure if you are supposed to be able to do that though?

Yeah got mine out in 90 mins - anyone who removes the whole dash is mad!

what is the way then????

3 Hours, thats interesting.

I've to do mine next week, so I'll try it without removing the dash and take photo's if I manage it.

I did a mk2 Golf's matrix years ago without removing the dash, not sure if you are supposed to be able to do that though?

In a Golf the centre console comes out which makes it easier, looking at the Rado dash there's a lot more of the main dash that's in the way. I'm sure it's possible but I would imagine far harder to get it out and back in again. I've done 3 golf ones and a B3 passat but not a Rado.

It's a horrible job on all VAG car's of this era.

Nick

I have been working on my heater core this weekend :D the job for today is putting all in their place again :?