Sign in to follow this  
Rico

Oil coming from temp sensor

Well at least I think its that one.

Of the 2 sensors on top of the oil filter housing, there is oil pouring out of the one nearest the back as you look at it from the front of the car.

is this just a fault with the switch and it just needs replaced or am I in for some expensive problems???

Car is kinda stranded far from home so a quick reply would be much appreciated.

Cheers! :(

Those are the low pressure and high pressure switches I'm pretty sure.

You should be able to disconnect the wire (yellow or blue IIRC) unscrew the oil switch and screw a new one in.

The oil temp sensor is round the back of the cylinder head, near the distributor :salute:

Yep, the lo/hi switches are what I meant. Thanks for confirming what they are for me!

I know they're easy enough to replace but Just trying to work out if its just going to be a faulty switch or if something else would cause the problem.

The switches commonly fail like this.

Get it replaced ASAP as they will let oil out at a spectacular rate... Just as well do both while you're at it too.

Tell the dealer what colour it is-they will know which it is from that, but as I said, you'd just as well replace both now. The other one won't be far off letting go too.

Yep, looked them up on ECP's site.

I managed to get hold of a black one but its the white one I need so need to wait till monday to get it from the VW dealer. was closed by the time I realised it was leaking!

Hopefully they'll have them in stock!

So even though I need a white one, could I get away with a black one for a day or two if I can't get one?

The car is 15 miles away from home so it would be handy to be able to get it home at least.

Also, could someone do me a huge favour and possibly try a few spanners on the switch on thier car please?

Just so I definetly have the right tools when I go to change it.

Cheers.

Well when I checked 5 mins before posting (actually going out to the car :shock:) the white one fit a 24mm and the black one looked bigger, but couldn't get a socket on it cos the heat exchanger is in the way. :nuts:

and i don't have any spanners. Apart from me :bonk:

Well when I checked 5 mins before posting (actually going out to the car :shock:)

I'll check later so we're all happy... :?

Both seem to be the same size on my car... You might well need to remove the white sender to get at the black one as there's no space in there.

Its the white one I need to replace so not a problem and I've got a black one to fit so they'll both be off anyway.

You can just see what size the new switch is before you go to the car :)

Top tip :lol:

Took me all day to think it up too! :)