Sign in to follow this  
krnau

anyone with a manual aircon switch?

I own an early C, and I find it not good at all the fact of having to activate the aircon when I want to use the heater. You know, in early heater controls, if one wants to select heater it is needed to slide the control and doing a 'brief' selection of aircon mode... which I hate!

Then, has anyone installed an aircon switch? this could be useful for:

1. prevent aircon activacion

2. use the windshield defroster with hot air (and not cold!)

3. select aircon in the slider, without activating the compressor... I hope then the 2nd speed of the radiator fan will be activated :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty: could be useful in summer traffic jam!

Please, opinions :D I have been thinking about a relay installation in the "+" wire of the aircon compressor, but just can't think of how much intensity should it be able to transmit :scratch: :shrug:

The aircon should only kick in if the interior fan is actually on , ie if the fan is on '0' the compressor will not kick in,

Move the slider with the fan in the zero position, then turn the fan on again once youve got past the aircon selection.

Is the early air-con switch the same as the late switch? Are they the ones that are part of the cigarette lighter with the low/high push switch option?

:scratch: Sorry I don't understand what you are refering to :pale:

Steve, the early Corrado's had the sliders for direction ala Mk2 Golf which is what Arnau has in his Corrado.

So Arnau there is no way of turning the fan off? 1 is the lowest?

My aircon switch is different again to the one in the pic above, mine sits below fog light switches... square panel with 2 round buttons norm and max!!

What year is yours Steve Storm?

My aircon switch is different again to the one in the pic above, mine sits below fog light switches... square panel with 2 round buttons norm and max!!

maybe you have an aftermarket aircon

All RHD cars were aftermarket Diavia systems

The picture I posted is not from my car but a Corrado in the States. I haven't got air-con in my Storm but I bought the same switch from VW in the US back in May, in mind to have it installed one day. They came to quite a lot of money. With the cigarette lighter trim and switch, it came to something like £140. Apparently they are the standard late Corrado set that VW sells in country's where you can get air-con as an option... or as standard which I think it was in the US.

If you look at the heater control trim (where it says AIRconditioning) the controls are swapped around for left hand cars. I read in one of the GB Corrado Club Sprinter magazines back in 1999 that Preh Group ( http://www.preh.com/ ) used to do a right hand driver heater control which said AIRconditioning. These must be super rare now.

The picture I posted is not from my car but a Corrado in the States. I haven't got air-con in my Storm but I bought the same switch from VW in the US back in May, in mind to have it installed one day. They came to quite a lot of money. With the cigarette lighter trim and switch, it came to something like £140. Apparently they are the standard late Corrado set that VW sells in country's where you can get air-con as an option... or as standard which I think it was in the US.

If you look at the heater control trim (where it says AIRconditioning) the controls are swapped around for left hand cars. I read in one of the GB Corrado Club Sprinter magazines back in 1999 that Preh Group ( http://www.preh.com/ ) used to do a right hand driver heater control which said AIRconditioning. These must be super rare now.

Basically that is exactly the same as a Mk3 Golf heater dial, i believe the Passat is the same

Dont know about super rare!

I have one exactly the same in the car i broke to rob the air con out of, same set up but it didnt have air con written on it,

As you say the switches you got are for LHD air con cars, if you look at the back of a stock cig lighter you will see the moulding ready for the switches.

£140 for the switches - you must be mad, or rich!!

so not all RHD C's have aircon????

No RHD cars ever came with aircon from the factory, it was only a dealership option - ie retrofit Divia kit.

All RHD cars were aftermarket Diavia systems

This is news to me!

I always thought it was a factory extra ??

Along with cruise control...

Where's your ABS light then? I have the same switch but it is to the left of the headlight switch to the right of the steering wheel.