Sign in to follow this  
parky69

2ltr 8v power problem

Hi, Ive got a 2.0l 8v, 100k on the clock well serviced etc. Sometimes it drives perfect, put you foot down and away you go. Other times drives like a bag of cack. So lumpy, you put your foot down and it feels as though you're trying to choke it to death. Cleaned out the air box and the filter is clean, dizzy cap clean and plugs look good. Maybe it's the fuel filter or cat, just don't know.Driving on the motorway today, dropped it in to fourth from fith it just did not want to know, really struggles to get good revs.Starts and idles perfect. Would appreciate any help :D , cheers

I had problems with the mrs mk3, it was the TPS on the throttlebody. Yours sounds like possibly lambda? agreed on the vagcom

I had the same problem on my old 8v, a few times over the years of owning it. When it first started happening, it pissed me off so much that I kept my foot on the accelerator and the fuel pump failed. After replacing it, it was fine for years until one day I let the fuel level go down way too low and it started happening again. I have a feeling that it probably sucked some crap out of the bottom of the fuel tank which was blocking the petrol line. Unfortunately some idiot went into me at a roundabout and wrote the car off before I could get it sorted out.

Cheers guys much appreciated. I don't know where I can plug the vagcom in, is there a scart type fitting somewhere?

Might start by replacing the fuel filter and have a look at changing the pump or might put some of that redex type petrol bollox in it and see how it goes. Mind you running it on almost empty every week won't be helping. Anyway thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on :D