Sign in to follow this  
waynos

Little mod for ddi dials

This is where i bought my tubes from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Dual-12-UV-Co ... 4ce5e9d09a

Since doing this i found out that the cold cathode uv tubes in their original protective plastic will sag in the middle and break the lamp inside due to the lack of ventilation.

I had a spare so i very carefully removed the uv tube from it protective plastic tube using a junior hacksaw to chop off the ends. A nick needs to be made in the plastic of the gauge housing to allow the tube to poke out either end and the original dash bulbs need to be removed. I made my nicks at the same height as the tops of the original bulbs this allows the light from the tube to come through and flood the dash area with uv. make sure you remove the sheet of green light filter too. I fitted the the uv cathode so that the cables exit on the right hand side and the invertor box is located behind the headlights switch. You will have to be VERY careful when fitting the dash back in as the tube is now unprotected on the ends.

Also i later found that i needed to insulate the metal frame of the dashboard to the left of the uv tube with gaffa tape to prevent the tube leaking voltage into the frame and into the stereo!

any 1 got the site or a link for these dials, i want these. i have the early rado clocks, will this affect anything? :scratch:

bit out of my price range at the mo.. and then to mod it seems long :shock:

think ill wait til a fellow rado owner want to sell 1 all ready done.

any idea any1 if they will work in a 89 16 v, as they all look like the vr dials??

bit out of my price range at the mo.. and then to mod it seems long :shock:

think ill wait til a fellow rado owner want to sell 1 all ready done.

any idea any1 if they will work in a 89 16 v, as they all look like the vr dials??

Right, Got a 12inch Cathode tube from Maplins last night, will have a look at fitting it tonight.

Spent most of the evening doing the reverse LCD mod which looks sweet :) Is there an easy way to get the LCD to light up when the ignition is on? Do I have to take a wire out of the back of the instrument cluster and somehow tap into an ignition live?

Is there an easy way to get the LCD to light up when the ignition is on? Do I have to take a wire out of the back of the instrument cluster and somehow tap into an ignition live?

I take it that you are going to remove the 3 bulbs that normally illuminate the front of the gauges. If so that will mean that the only other things that illuminate in the instrument cluster when the headlights are on are the LCD back lights.

Do the following:

1: On the loom that connects to the instrument cluster find the wire that goes to pin 12. This is the +12v variable feed from the headlight switch dimmer to the cluster illumination.

2: Cut this wire a few inches from the instrument cluster plug.

3: Tape up (or better) the cut end coming from the cars loom.

4: Join the other cut end that goes to the instrument cluster plug to the black wire on the instrument cluster plug that is located on pin 13.

The LCD's should then light up when the ignition is on.

You said you got the cold cathode kit from maplins, is it an ultra violet one?

Dam!

I just realised the one I got isnt UV! :cuckoo:

I bought: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=34147

I guess I'll take it back and get a UV one of ebay.

I'm a bit confused with this TBH, I wire the dials into the back of headlight switch so they work on the dimmer, that seems fine. As it stand the LCDs will turn on when I flick the headlight switch. So if I cut the grey/blue wire coming out of the gauge pod, and then join it into a black wire going into the back of gauge pod, they should come on with the ignition.

Is there a specifc way to splice a wire into another wire ? I obv know how to do 2 wires, but this would mean there were 3 ends to join?

Sorry for the questions, I've not done much with the electrics before

Thanks for all the help so far,

Andy

Updated my post above.

Is there a specifc way to splice a wire into another wire ?

I use blue snap lock connectors to splice into looms: linky

Ok, I just took a closer look and the only non-White wires going into he back of the cluster are:

Red/black

Red/White

Brown/White

Purple/White

Green

i chcked the back of the headlight switch and the wire coming from the dimmer is indeed blue/ grey as suggested.

I had a lookin bentley and I think the red/black is live when the ignition is on, but I can't find any reference to the colour for the dimmer cable.

Anyone got a clue for a 94 vr?

Found this:

GaugeCluster.jpg[/attachment:3myunkay]

The gauge lighting is on pin 12 (grey wire)

A switched +12v feed is on pin 13 (black wire) this is where my JSB shift light gets it +12v from.

Thanks for all your help Marc, I think they must have changed the wiring post '90 as this is what I have:

http://picasaweb.google.com/poll250/UntitledAlbum#5417395648546581554

1st row: 1-13 are white wires, 14 is red/black

http://picasaweb.google.com/poll250/UntitledAlbum#5417395647973612498

2nd row: 15 red/white, 17 purple/white.19 green, 21 brown/white.

hmmm!

I got the dials working today at least :) They come on when the ignition is on as I tapped them into the yellow/grey wire in the headlight switch, I may try to tap into the dimmer wire so they can be turned down a bit.

poll250 - did u manage to wire your dials up so that the LCD's come on when u switch the ignition on?

Im going to be picking mine up today from the Post Office, and want this little mod as I've already done the reverse LCD mod, and it can get a little hard to see during the day!

From the above post tho, does wiring it up as u suggested, G60_Marc, affect the ability to dim the lights?

(BTW, Im gonna be keeping my 3 LED backlit bulbs on)

poll250 - did u manage to wire your dials up so that the LCD's come on when u switch the ignition on?

Im going to be picking mine up today from the Post Office, and want this little mod as I've already done the reverse LCD mod, and it can get a little hard to see during the day!

From the above post tho, does wiring it up as u suggested, G60_Marc, affect the ability to dim the lights?

(BTW, Im gonna be keeping my 3 LED backlit bulbs on)

Plenty of modding info > HERE :thumb right:

hey,

I read somewhere that some "black light" cold cathodes don't have any UV filter, and so it will damage your eyes!!