Sign in to follow this  
Purple Tom

Heated seat switch question - should it be illuminated?

Hi,

I've got a late-spec heated seat switch (the twin thumbwheel type) on my C, and it doesn't illuminate - should it?

I've taken it out of the dash and it has the usual VW grey/blue wire going to it which to me indicates that it should be illuminated, but I just wanted to know before I take it apart whether it does actually have illumination or not?

Thanks! (I have done a search but can't find a definitive answer!)

Tom

Late style ones should illuminated - green. There is a bulb in there. I do some work replacing switch gear illumination so let me know if you want them fixing :D

Yes as JMC says, definitely should illuminate. I made mine blue just last night!

Having issues with the correct colour in the headlight switch because of the green filter! Grrr!

Yes.... The seat symbol should light green in the centre and the numbers and lines on the rolling knobs either side should also light green well that's unless you've had a colour change !

Thanks for the replies - i'll have a look and see if I can get it working - if not then I'll be in touch JMC! :)

Good luck with it Tom - if you are happy to open it up then the bulb could just have blown or one of the contacts come loose. Either way it will be fixable.

Yeah I'm reasonably confident, it seems fairly simple in its construction - hopefully I'll be able to sort it :)

Quick update - took it apart tonight and its definitely the bulb thats gone! Looks a very simple fix with just a dab of solder on each of the connections to the bulb :)

Its the same if your heated rear screen/foglight button doesn't illuminate when switched on too - again a very simple fix!

Tom

Fixed them both now, took about 10 minutes to do each one so now I have an illuminated heated seat switch and also an illuminated heated rear screen switch so I can now see if its on without going and breathing on the inside of the rear window :lol:

Bit off topic i know but you all seem to have heated seats in here and you'll all be able to help me,

Any chance you could tell me where thin black wire from the switch goes to, and where in the fuse box the blue/grey (grey plug)and black (green plug) wire goes and where i put the fuse?

thank you.

Hi

on the same lines as your heated seat switch, my rear heated window switch & heater controls panel are not illuminated do you know if the fix would be the same for these?