Sign in to follow this  
xnology

Swapping motors - how much grief will I save?

How much easier is it to swap motors if I pull off the front end - rad support, etc.?

Or is it even possible with the front end still on?

Never pulled one of these before...

as steve said, easiest with the front end off but if you remove the bonnet you *might* be able to pull it all straight up and out.

or if you're feeling low rent, you can drop it all onto the floor and then crane the CAR over the top of it! :lol:

Thats what I figured. I was hoping somebody had a trick - other that jacking the car over the top.

Holy crap! You're a genius! My boss bought a used car lift a couple of years ago and I believe had it installed in our newest building! I am dropping it out the bottom! That will be a cake walk!

Thanks! I didn'nt even remember that until just now.

You'll probably want to drop the subframes and lift the rest of the car off them.

I'd always use the front off of the car method now.

Good deal. I will take your advice - (all) and yank the front. Any tips that make it easier for a first time removalist?

Put a jack under the engine incase it does try to climb onto your head...

Get the driveshaft bolts undone first, and crack the exhaust manifold bolts, just incase you have problems, and you won't have to put anything else back together then.

Remove the grille, headlights and indicators. You can unplug the foglights from the inner wings and leave them in place.

Unbolt the bumper (4x bolts, plenty of pics on here) being carefull that the smaller bolts or the cross member don't give way and let the engine and box fall foward, hence the jack mentioned above. Remove the bumper and store safely.

Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the radiator to the slam panel, then remove the 10mm bolts holding the slam panel to the car. I don't remove the cable from the slam panel, but wrap it in a couple of rags and leave it alongside the front wing.

Then take the battery and radiator off and store elsewhere, PAS pump can stay on the car, so remove the belt and pump from engine, remove inlet trunking and exhaust pipe, engine electrics, gear linkage and heater matrix pipes, then support the engine and box, remove the front engine mount and drop the cross member off, followed by the gearbox and engine mount.

That's a very concise route.

After quite a wait, the motor finally arrived this week. It's time for a good degreasing and well see how well it cleans up. Then I imagine I will throw some in process picks up!

Thanks again for all the advice!

unless you're planning on refurbing your rad support panel/crossmember (as they are the parts that always suffer from rust), there's no need to remove them to take the engine/gearbox out - they will come out as one, just make sure you guide them out nicely to avoid fouling stuff. the rest of the above is spot on though :)

what are you replacing the VR with? - another VR, or something more fruity?

It's a g60 for g60 swap. Not an upgrade...

Cylinder 1 on the original is toast and I'd like to rebuild her while I still drive the car as a daily.

It's a g60 for g60 swap. Not an upgrade...

Cylinder 1 on the original is toast and I'd like to rebuild her while I still drive the car as a daily.

ahhh - fair enough - your ad in your signature block confused me - it thought you had a corrado storm (obviously you're referring to your keyrings) :ignore:

should be a nice, straight-forward swap then :)