Sign in to follow this  
Chris

vr6 serp belt squeek. its back!

as the title states.

originally i used a dayco belt which squeeked from day one (brand new), would only stop if i used talc powder or silicone spray etc. that would last about 5 mins, so not an answer.

got rid of that belt and used a 5mm shorter 6 ribbed belt, the squeek disappeared for a few days then came back.

each time it came back after treating the belt the squeek would be unbearable and constant, getting worse as the revs were up'ed (again the treatment would last about 5mins)

i called it a day about a month ago and bought a genuine vw belt, installed it, the squeek went again, but it took about 3weeks before it started showing its head again, it has got worse over the week, now i cant drive the car.

what should i do????

it sounds like the belt is slipping on the crank pulley as it did before, water pump, aux tens, power steering and alt are new. the noise goes when i put talc powder or spray on the ribbed side of the belt anywhere in the line. its not a bearing noise or wobbly pulley, its definately belt slip of some sort. the tensioner is tensioning as it should, i cant get my head round this one, the squeek vanished for miles and miles, then came back!?? its not get overly damp or wet either, tbh, it rained more when the squeek had vanished. :cuckoo:

would buying a new crank pulley, or possibly a lightweight alloy one be a solution? has anyone else even experienced this?

if the nosie doesnt stop soon therell be a nice shiney vr up for sale :( it driving me up the wall!!!

Who'd wanna buy a VR with a squeaking serpentine belt..?! ;)

If it's slipping on the crank pulley it would usually indicate that something else is causing too much drag on the belt, are you sure the bearings in the tensioner pulley are ok and have not started to sieze? the bearings may feel fine when they are cold but could start to lock up when they are hot.

I know you said the rest of the stuff is new but have you checked each item individually to make they are not stiff to turn.