Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Starting a 2.0 16v

When I start my 2.0 16v, should the starter motor continue to run all the time the ignition key is held in the starting position? I've always had problems starting the car since I've owned it - 4 years now, and it just dawned on me the other day that when I hear other people stuggling to start their cars you can generally hear the starter motor keep running whilst they try to start the car. On my Corrado the starter only seems to run for a split moment when you first turn the key, so you have to constantly switch it back and turn it again if I need to re-try.

My understanding is that when you have the key turned fully round then the starter pinion should be engaged and when you release it should move away fomr the flywheel.. When peoples starters are sticky you get that nasty crunch sound as they are held engaged for too long..

There does seem to be something a miss there..

Thanks.

I wonder if it's more a problem with my ignition switch than perhaps the starter motor itself then. I know the ignition switch is prone to problems having read a few posts on here. It seems then like the starter pinion is not remaining engaged with the key fully turned round.

Anyone else experienced a similar problem?