Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Calling all BBS LM Rep owners

I gave my wheels a clean today ( which I do on a regular basis) and found that the bolts have already starting corroding, this is probably due to so much salt being laid down onto the roads due to the time of year. But surely for a wheel thats regurlarly cleaned and being less than 6months old they shouldnt show any signs of corrosion right?

Has anyone else had this happen to their wheels?

Does anyone know how to remove the bolts so I can replace them with better quality versions? Are tehy pressed in or threaded in?

I gave my wheels a clean today ( which I do on a regular basis) and found that the bolts have already starting corroding, this is probably due to so much salt being laid down onto the roads due to the time of year. But surely for a wheel thats regurlarly cleaned and being less than 6months old they shouldnt show any signs of corrosion right?

There won't be much salt on the roads yet... We've only gone for a couple of runs in Hampshire. You'll see a lot worse yet.

right, the fake bolts are corroding very badly now. does anyone know of the best way to fix this?

Ideally I would like to removed these bolts and fit stainless ones, but not sure if this is possible.

Anyone tried to remove these bolts?

From what I've read around various forums they are not the best quality rims, one guy removed all the studs and replaced them with cut off BBS studs

From what I've read around various forums they are not the best quality rims, one guy removed all the studs and replaced them with cut off BBS studs

Yeah, thread on E38 at the moment?

Doesn't sound good that they're corroding already, how is the rest of the wheel looking?

Strange as mine have been on since early March so have almost done a complete "winter" if you like... and are fine...even taken a couple hits to the polished surface and that's all good too!

Call R-Tec in St-Albans they can supply you with new studs for these, and have gold versions too if that floats your boat!

All I've done is made sure they had a good couple layers of wax on them before using, and have slung a couple light coats on since.... as you would with more expensive alloys... I started off with Aglym EGP and Megs Gold class as that's all I had...

Use something like Rim-Wax, Jestseal109, Poorboys, or as I'm doing Colinite 915 and they'll be fine!

Are you using any form of acid wheel cleaner/stiff brush? These will affect the finish too! If you protect them as above all you need to use is regular Car shampoo...

the rims are in excellent condition still its just the bolts, I clean and wax them every week but I do use my car as a daily and stored on the drive so maybe that doesnt help.

how can i get the old bolts out? they pull out or unscrew. anybody got a link to the e38 post about changing the bolts. this is pretty much what i was going to do.

the rims are in excellent condition still its just the bolts, I clean and wax them every week but I do use my car as a daily and stored on the drive so maybe that doesnt help.

how can i get the old bolts out? they pull out or unscrew. anybody got a link to the e38 post about changing the bolts. this is pretty much what i was going to do.

PM "ICY" on E-38 he's the guy who replaced his bolts with BBS ones after getting his LM Reps Ball-burnished...

Or speak to Paul at R-Tec in St Albans about the replacements...

thanks guys, will chase some of these people up and see what can be done. like ive said before the wheels are great for their price just for some reason they used crappy chrome on the bolts.

once the bolts get replaced ill keep these for a while until i can find some rare real splities :D

Quote quicky1980 Re: Calling all BBS LM Rep owners

by quicky1980 » 02.01.2009, 22:56

thanks guys, will chase some of these people up and see what can be done. like ive said before the wheels are great for their price just for some reason they used crappy chrome on the bolts.

once the bolts get replaced ill keep these for a while until i can find some rare real splities

just a quick point about the chrome bolts used, when i picked up my splits from the company who refurbed them i asked about bolts to use to rebuild them and he said theat he doesnt use chromed bolts anymore unless requested to as they do corrode. As does stainless but no where near as quick, so this is what i went for, but if you do as the deviant advises and wax them - i use rimwax as i love the smell! - they will last for ages

yeah, was planning on going stainless.

Just found out from ICY on E38 that the bolts on these wheels are soft and are easy to pull out, so I'm going to order some decent bolts, (maybe bbs ones) cut them down and fit them as replacements.

Only thing is from the message off ICY is that he used silicon to hold the bolts head on, I dont want to do that and may try and tap the holes. This may mean I cant use the bbs bolts due to the thread not going all the way to the head.

from what i can make out, the hole left by the orignal bolts are larger than the bbs bolts outer diameter.

Im happy though, will finally get my wheels back up to standard :D

If the original holes are a bit bigger, I'd be half tempted to try putting them in with chemical metal. Won't be easy to get them lined up though.

he said that they were tight, but i guesse not enough spare material to make a thread. when i do do the work ill post some more info and poss' some pictures