Sign in to follow this  
radness

Fuel Ecomany / Back fire / running rich? 16v 9a

Hi guys,

Basically my fuel economy seems to be getting poorer and poorer as the day goes on. The only mod i have is the Kr cam.

Before and after the cam was put in i had a back fire if i accelerate hard in first then change into 2nd gear, it seems to only happen in either 1 or sometimes 2nd gear and only with high revs. It gives a loud pop / backfire.

Is this damaging anything?

Is it a sign i'm running rich? Power wise i seem good in the low revs till about 5500 (after that i dont notice any significant pull), so i don't suspect running lean fueling.

Also worth mentioning that i always run on super unleaded....it's only 3 p difference over regular fuel...and i think it's a good idea.instead of paying 10p more for bp ultimate or the like.

I read on this forum there is a way to adjust fueling with an allen key but it doesn't describe where you do this.... I'm nervous about running lean as i hear this is more dangerous for your car than running rich? correct?

One last thing, my fuel pump seems very noisy, i don't know if this is normal for an old car, but i can hear the sound of itwere on other more modern cars i only ever hear the pump getting pressurized, is this a sign that it's about to die or that my fuel filter needs replaced? (don't know when either has been done - car is at 120k).

Hope you guys can help me out :)