Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

Expansion Tank

Got a second hand expansion tank off an R reg polo on sunday. To find out today when im swapping it for my old one that im an idiot and the sensor connectors at the top are different??

Anyone shed some light on which cars at the scrappy will have the right one or whether its worth swapping the wires over??

Cheers

Kieran

why don't you buy a new standard one? they're really not expensive. Well, not from AVS anyways.

Wanted to try and get a genuine VAG one but rang TPS and it was gonna cost £35+ so told them where to go!! Had seen the ones on AVS and GSF but wasnt sure bout aftermarket tanks??

What you think have you had any trouble with aftermarket ones??

you'll find a fair few of the mk3 golfs have the same tank, although some engines don't have the level sensor. Passats of the same era should have the same tank too, trouble is, at that age most are at best cloudy and often the plastic is going brittle and crumbly especially where the expansion hose connects.

MK2 Gti will be same...

But buy new, and gennie, no issues with not seeing level, splits etc..

VAG as far as cap concerned, replaced a GSF "blue" cap and the gennie was completely different!

yeah, they're £££ from the dealers but everything always is so no surprise there.

I got a geniune one, as I couldn't find any aftermarkets with the min max lines on in black.

I got a geniune one, as I couldn't find any aftermarkets with the min max lines on in black.

The Topran ones from B&B are £9 ish and have the lines!! :) They are out there. No issues (literally) with it or cap! 8)