Sign in to follow this  
TomD

Fitting powerflex wishbone rear bushes - help!

Hi all!

Trying to fit my powerflex wishbone rear bushes - classic - on the box says 'bushes can always be pressed in by hand' - sheet of paper inside the box saying - it is not always possible to fit these bushes by hand. After considerable sweat and a little blood - the paper seems to be right!

Anyway it says they can be inserted using a bench vice but mines not big enough - are there any top tips for getting them in using other tools etc/heat (but not a proper press?)

Also...are the ARB bushes that mount the ARB to the subframe (not the eye mounts) a very tight fit? seem to be from trial fitting them last night!

Thanks in advance!

Tom :D

Hi all!

Trying to fit my powerflex wishbone rear bushes - classic - on the box says 'bushes can always be pressed in by hand' - sheet of paper inside the box saying - it is not always possible to fit these bushes by hand. After considerable sweat and a little blood - the paper seems to be right

Anyway it says they can be inserted using a bench vice but mines not big enough - are there any top tips for getting them in using other tools etc/heat (but not a proper press?)

Also...are the ARB bushes that mount the ARB to the subframe (not the eye mounts) a very tight fit? seem to be from trial fitting them last night!

Thanks in advance!

Tom :D

to fit the rear bushes, you can either do it the refined way as kip suggests with long bolts/washers, or you could just tap them in with a large mallett and some wood...

and yes i found the arb bushes are a tw*t to get in; even the standard ones

:)

Just pull them together using a big bolt or studding and some home made washers...

As in... put a long bolt through the middle of the bush (with a washer) and something to bolt the bolt into the other side of the wishbone.

Then tighten up the bolt to force the bush in.

That sounds clever - I'll try it out! :D

I found when using a clamp that it too easily goes off centre meaning the bush slips and sits in the hole at an angle and becomes a nightmare to get in.

I tried wacking it into the wishbone but the bush bounced away down the garage! :D

Thanks guys - I'lllet you know how i get on! :D

worked like a dream! took about 30 seconds a side instead of hours of swearing! :D

Thanks again!