Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

DSG Gearbox conversion with r32

Alot of R32 engines seem to come with the DSG gearbox. I know that to fit it with the r32 will be tough. But how tough will it be? Lets assume its an r32 conversion with drive by wire throttle, and FWD (for now)?

Parts I think that are needed for DSG conversion:

DSG G/Box

DSG Controler

CANbus (what is this exactly)

wheel sensors? (wont the abs sensors do this?)

wheel position sensor ( i would imagine this can cause issues)

Does anyone have links to other forums where someone has done this conversion/work.

Doing this post both for research as a possible route for my project, and also to help others on the forum with gathering all usefull info on the DSG

Are there any FWD DSG r32s?

Canbus is the wiring loom in effect, it's actually the name for the wiring system. You don't have individual components having wires from them to the ecu, you have several controllers and sensors patched into a few wires. the wiring loom is terminated each end of the car, and the ecu can work out which sensor is saying what. Saves a lot of wiring, and by using standard protocols and languages, means that different components can be added into the loom of the car.

In tractors they have moved to a standard ISOBUS, so that third party implements can be controlled through the tractors electronics, saving having extra control boxes in the cab.

I don't think the corrado ABS sensors are compatable with the sensors used in the latest generation of VWs as speed sensors, but I could be wrong.

Are there any FWD DSG r32s?

Thought that the output shaft to the rear could be left free rotating. If not then, the conversion would have to be 4wd??

Are their any pictures of the mentioned sensors?

Sounds like a wiring diagram is going to be needed too.

You'll have a lot of issues with trying to fit a DSG, I'd imagine. The DSG controller be on CAN (Controller Area Network), along with engine ECU, clocks, ABS, traction control etc etc, and it will probably require all of those ECUs to be on the network for it to function correctly. The problem lies with the network 'ring' that gets created when you power up the system. I'd expect that the DSG controller will need to 'see' CAN messages from all of the above (and maybe more ECUs in the vehicle) for it to maintain a steady ring. If there is something missing, the very best you could expect is a funk load of OBD trouble codes to be set, the worst would be that it would either go into a limp-home status and only give you a couple of gears or indeed not even allow gears to be engaged at all. It may be possible to either simulate some of the ECUs in the vehicle via some kind of small controller (CAN gateway) that outputs 'dumb' CAN messages, but you'd need to first of all log the data being transmitted on the CAN bus in a vehicle fitted with a DSG box and then decipher which messages are relevant, and then build or buy said controller. Not one of the easiest tasks. We've been doing a project at work to get an engine from one manufacturer to run and work in a car from another manufacturer, and it took us 5-6 weeks to get it working and that is using one of our CAN gateways, and having access to all the data from both manufacturers, so it's no mean feat!

The other far far easier option is to use a donor car and transfer EVERYTHING from it. You'd need all the ABS stuff as well, as the vehicle speed is determined from that rather than a gearbox sensor, and you'll probably find that you'll need the 4WD, as the DSG controller will no doubt be 'talking' to the Haldex controller as well.

HTH