Sign in to follow this  
horney

Oil Leak + Oil Cooler Question (2.0 16v)

Hi Folks,

Got an oil leak on my 2.0 16v that appears to be coming from the oil cooler or the filter. Is this a common problem and if so what is normally the cause? Filter, gasket or cooler failure? If it's the cooler are these still available new?

I've had a cooler go on MKII golf but that wa san internal failure and caused the oil and water to mix. Are these coolers the same part?

Nick

Coolers are available, but it could be the o ring on the filter, or between the cooler and the bracket. Or it could be an oil pressure switch failing. You'd do well to check these thoroughly as they'll empty the sump at serious pace...

Hi Folks,

Got an oil leak on my 2.0 16v that appears to be coming from the oil cooler or the filter. Is this a common problem and if so what is normally the cause? Filter, gasket or cooler failure? If it's the cooler are these still available new?

I've had a cooler go on MKII golf but that wa san internal failure and caused the oil and water to mix. Are these coolers the same part?

Nick

Hi mate , I had a 2.0 16v raddo and i had that same problem but it was the filter kept coming loose so i had to replace the cooler as the previous owner had wrecked the thread on it . It was a long time ago and i think it cost me about £120 quid .

Cheers guys I'll have a nosey at it on Saturday. I may well do a oil and filter change and see if that sorts it.

Nick

Right just been out for a nosey in daylight and I see the one sender on the cooler and that is deffo not leaking. There are several small pools of oil under the car and there are drips hanging off two places on the sump and the bottom of the filter.

Looking at all the above I think it's safe to assume it's filter/cooler/housing related as the oil on the sump is either a second leak (weeping sump gasket) or is just where oil is blown from the filter area onto the engine then running down and dripping off the sump.

How hard is it to remove the cooler? Do you have to drain the coolant?

I think my plan for the weekend is to replace the filter, do an oil change and degrease the engine to keep an eye on the leak. I'll change the cooler gaskets if it's an easy job to do in a car park so fill me in!

Nick

Hi

I had a oil leak on my VR6, which turned out to be the seals around the oil cooler. This was an easy fix, I got hold of some new oil seals from VW and had them fitted in no time. Check the oil cooler/filter housing with the engine running to see if you can see an oil coming out before you go ahead and split the unit

Miles

Cheers fella, looks like this is the likely culprit and it's dropping loads now. Dropped about an egg cup full since I nipped out at lunchtime.

A Q for other 2,0 16v owners. How many senders does your have in the oil cooler housing? 1 or 2? My mate reckons it should have 2 but mine only has 1 and a plug but everything looks fine with no wires hanging about unconnected etc.

Nick

From memory (and the car's miles awat ATM) No senders...

But the logical one would be Oil-temp for MFA... however thing that maybe in the head and pressure in the block?

KRs have 2 pressure switches in the casting, and a temp sensor in the back of the head.

G60s are different.

I can't remember what the 9A I broke had on it...

Cooler is a bit of a pain. remove the fan cowling and fan as a single unit. (2x10mm bolts at each end and fan plug) to get more space. The main issue will be getting the water pipes off. They are a right tw@t.

Remove the filter, and you'll find a nut around the centre pipe (24mm??) which you need to undo to drop the cooler down. The centre pipe may well unscrew from the upper casting(indeed, this could be your problem) so make sure it is tightly wound up before replacing the parts.

While you're fiddling with it, you may as well replace the waterpipes to the cooler, and the pressure sender.

That's awsome, cheers toad you're a ledge.

It went from max to min on my way home from work tonight (21 miles!) so it's got to bad to drive it anywhere now. Gonna get it up on the jack in the morning and have a good nose around to double check where the leak is before ordering the parts. Lucky I've got tomorrow off to go crimbo shopping with the wife. Not that she's impressed that we'll be leaving late as I have to mess with the car and order parts before we go.

Nick

Seems to be fixed. I changed the filter and the O ring between the cooler and the bracket. I'll be monitoring it over the next few days.

Right onto the heater blower next.

nick