Sign in to follow this  
Gforceuk

1st Gear Clunk 50% of the time...

Having owned my vr6 for about 2 weeks now i've just started noticing one thing.

Half the time i put the car into first gear it drops loosely in with a slight clunk.. nothing spectacular.

I can take it back out of gear again and put it back into first and i dont notice again. Other gears are fine , its just first.

Is this a known problem ? Not being too mechanically minded any help appreciated.

gearbox mount springs to mind, or perhaps the cables (IIRC they can stretch over time).

worth doing a search though matey, someone has probably had your problem before :D

if you are anywhere near birmingham, there's a place called longbridge gearbox centre to the south and they are pretty good there - might be worth taking it there for an opinion...

another quick check it that the big counterweight on the selector (on top of the gearbox) hasent worked loose. I was having trouble getting gears and thought my gearbox was knackered but the weight had just worked loose and was ratlling around.

easy fix, tightened down the nut (a 13mm i think) and the gearchange was silky smooth again..

worth checkin anyhow man