Sign in to follow this  
corradog60stage4

DIY build of BBS RM012 + 1.5 inch Schmidt lips + 120 gold bo

Monday morning I went over to Exact Wheels on Hymus to pick up four BBS RM012 that I left with to get straightened and repainted.

Brought them back home and first thing is to pass the tap into all 120 threaded holes in all the barrels to clean and ensure the new gold bolts fit perfectly.

ry%3D320

get some masking tape to tape the basketweave aaround the barrel so you will not damage it when you are taping the holes

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

here is my tap and vise grip contraption. i find it better than using the T handle and quicker. After building like over 50 sets you will find ways to improve the procedure and streamline the process.

ry%3D320

you start the tap with the vise grip 90 degrees vertical and after you get the tap into the threads I push the vise grip down horizontally and continue to screw it in.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Once that is all done next is to place the Schmidt aluminium 15 X 1.5 fully polished lip over the barrel and fasten all the gold bolts.

pics of the lips and gold bolts.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Next is to torqued all the gold bolts in a criss cross pattern to 15 lbs.

to protect the finish on the bolts i used a latex glove

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Lastly you will need to seal the rims up with some decent sealant. I use 3M urethane as it bonds and seals like no other silicone on the market.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Now they are finished and needs 48 hours for the urethane to cure.

nice job,always fancied a set of bbs but i cannot be arsed to clean all those spokes. how much were the dishes if you dont mind me asking? how do you protect them from corroding?

nice job,always fancied a set of bbs but i cannot be arsed to clean all those spokes. how much were the dishes if you dont mind me asking? how do you protect them from corroding?

The four dishes ran about 700 usd and I use collinite 476S to protect them.