Sign in to follow this  
dgarwood07

Is it a bad thing????

Well, it shouldn't do it, but it's better than not kicking in at all.

Are you sure the coolant temp is actually at 80, and it's not the coolant temp sensor that is wrong?

The first speed will kick in about 85-90 then second speed about 95 it's prob a faulty fan switch whitch I've got a brand new one in the packet if needed!

Cool what ya up 2 now?? U in needham??

Well, it shouldn't do it, but it's better than not kicking in at all.

Are you sure the coolant temp is actually at 80, and it's not the coolant temp sensor that is wrong?

Im going by the engine temp The 1 on the dash! ?? :?

Ok. I wouldn't take that as being gospel. There's a chance that that could be wrong.

Ok. I wouldn't take that as being gospel. There's a chance that that could be wrong.

Is coolant temp on the mfa??

Nope. It's on the gauge. The MFA shows you the oil temperature.

What I'm trying to say is that the actual temperature fo the coolant, and the temperature you are shown on the gauge might not actually be the same.

My VR for example would show anywhere between 85 and 105 on the gauge when the coolant was actually 90 degrees.

It could be a knackered switch, but it would be worth checking that the rest of the system operates as normal, i.e, thermostat opening at 80ish degrees.

Nope. It's on the gauge. The MFA shows you the oil temperature.

What I'm trying to say is that the actual temperature fo the coolant, and the temperature you are shown on the gauge might not actually be the same.

My VR for example would show anywhere between 85 and 105 on the gauge when the coolant was actually 90 degrees.

It could be a knackered switch, but it would be worth checking that the rest of the system operates as normal, i.e, thermostat opening at 80ish degrees.

whats the best way 2 check it opens at 80?? sorry i dont no much about all this!lol

When the thermostat opens, the bottom rad hose will start to warm. Assuming you're having no issues with the cooling, other than the fan coming on early, you can assume that the thermostat is probably working correctly.

Just run it up to temperature whilst and feel the bottom rad hose from time to time. Be carefull nothing can get caught in the fan if it unexpectedly starts. Just see what the temp gauge says when it does get warm.

When does the first speed start by the way? And what engine do you have?

When the thermostat opens, the bottom rad hose will start to warm. Assuming you're having no issues with the cooling, other than the fan coming on early, you can assume that the thermostat is probably working correctly.

Just run it up to temperature whilst and feel the bottom rad hose from time to time. Be carefull nothing can get caught in the fan if it unexpectedly starts. Just see what the temp gauge says when it does get warm.

When does the first speed start by the way? And what engine do you have?

Its a 1.8 16v. The slow speed on the fan kicks in about 70!

:)

I'd be tempted to say that the coolant temp sensor isn't quite right then. I don't know which sensor is which on the KR though.

What does your oil temp tend to say out of interest?

:)

I'd be tempted to say that the coolant temp sensor isn't quite right then. I don't know which sensor is which on the KR though.

What does your oil temp tend to say out of interest?

think it was 80?? will check next time tho!

Well have a fiddle with it, and have a bit of a search on here. I could well be wrong with my guess. :)