Sign in to follow this  
jaded2882

Coolant for G60

Happy NY everyone. Just about to do some much needed jobs on my G60- oil change and coolant flush. Just wanted to check if the coolant type really matters? I've got some Halfords blue stuff for 'all cars before 1998' but I've heard some say pink stuff is better?

Wanted to do the oil change before I get the Mocal fitted at G-werks next week as I hear it's a bit of pig once it's on. Was going to have some headwork done too but my manifold is blowing like a steam train at the moment so I'll have to see how costly that is 1st! :(

pink stuff is long life stuff, i belive the normal anti freeze needs changing after 2 years where the pink stuff is 5? someone correct me if im wrong? but tbh who keeps there coolent in for 5 years? if you get a hole in a pipe or radiater then you change it again anyway,

antifreeze is antifreeze mate, just remember its got to be changed after 2years if you cont change it before.

The VW G12 plus plus, is recommended for these, it's got anti corrosion products designed for the aluminium heads, and isn't much more expensive than the VW products.

Yep - definately get VW's own G12+ for any Corrado. It's not that expensive and it's designed to work with your car.

But also lets face it, its not exactly a new engine anyway and has years most likely with coolant that does not have anti corrosion stuff in and also will it have been changed every 2 years, i doubt it?

I take your point junkie, I'm starting to find a few cowboy jobs on it now I've found my way round my first Rado and owned it a few months, so I doubt it's been cared for as it should have been. The Halfords stuff has does have anti-corrosion agent in it, and I'll be changing it before 2 years! If I can pick some G12+ up in the next few days I'll use that, otherwise I'll use Halfords stuff this time round. Time to get the hose out and see what horrors await me in the radiator!!! Cheers for advice folks.

But also lets face it, its not exactly a new engine anyway and has years most likely with coolant that does not have anti corrosion stuff in and also will it have been changed every 2 years, i doubt it?

The VW stuff since G12 lasts years though although I'd still change it every 4...

I really would use the proper stuff as it's not expensive, Stealth have seen several VR6 engines that are basically scrap metal because of alloy corrosion due to the wrong coolant being used.

What a crap day... Oil filter still hasn't arrived from AVS so I couldn't do that. Got all set up for coolant change, got the clamp off with mole grips but couldn't get the hose off. Tried pulling it, and prizing at it with a screwdriver but I think the pipe would have split before it moved. Is this the right pipe? On passenger side near cross member.

000_0307.jpg[/attachment:14yhueph]

Sorry to go OT but I've also noticed the PAS fluid isn't green as it should be :eek: Can this be bled out in the same way as coolant? From hose with clamp at front on the drivers side? And will this need 'flushing' or will traces of the other type of PAS fluid be ok once it's topped up with proper stuff?