Sign in to follow this  
marf497

Loss of power 16v 2.0 9a 1994

I've been having a problem with my corrado usually once the car is warm the revs drop to 0 for a second or 2 then go back to normal this can happen at any speed. Also sometimes when i'm just idling say at a junction or in traffic my revs will go up to 1500rpm roughly then drop down to near stalling (sometimes it stalls) then back to normal. I have changed the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, distributor cap rotor arm and a new set of HT leads and still the same the only thing I can see is on my 4th injector (nearest air filter) it looks a bit damp no smell of petrol or any sign of petrol when engine running, i've ordered a new seal for the injector get it on monday. I also ran vag-com on my car but no faults showing. I did have this fault- 00587 - mixture control adjustment limit 09-10 - adaptation limit surpassed - intermittent, on my car since i got it about a year ago but had no problems with my car until recently. Any ideas and help would be apreciated.

Thanks Mark.

Forgot to say also changed the earth strap between the ignition coil and the engine i'm not sure if it is a fuel or electrical problem.

sounds likes your losing the spark check all terminals on the coil are tight and not lose, check all earth straps and battery teminals, bad earths play dodgy tricks like something chronic

Sorry forgot to mention I took the coil off and cleaned the terminals and the connectors also new earth strap from coil to engine block.I replaced the fuel filter a couple of months ago when I serviced it only other thing is that about 6 months ago the fuel pump fuse blew a couple of times could this be a sign that the fuel pump is on its way out?? Cheers only has any problem when engine warmed up I tried giving the cables and connectors around the engine a bit of movement with the engine running to see if it caused my problem but they seem ok. Battery terminals seem ok i've not had a chance to remove battery earth cable to see if any corrosion on it but my car is going into the garage on wednesday to get the back quarter fixed. Some woman ran into me and the garage reckon they will have my car for a week.

I've noticed if the weather is a bit milder like on friday and today then I have no problems with my car I also checked the fuel pump relay 167 and it seems to get quite warm don't know of it should be but when its colder outside i have the heater on hotter than when its milder so it could be that the temperature in the car is adding to the temperature of the relay and causing my problem. I'm going to change it and see if it makes any difference only thing is that on wednesday i'm going to loose my car for about a week while the back quarter gets fixed. Any ideas would be apreciated don't know if i'm clutching at straws but I don't think the fuel pump relay should be as warm. The rest of the relays aren't heating up just normal temperature.

My car is in the garage getting the back quarter fixed should get it back on Wednesday can someone please check their fuel pump relay and let me know if it warms up after a bit of driving mine gets quite warm it isn't too hot to touch but I don't know if this is normal. I've been doing a search thru the forum and it seems like I should change the fuel pump relay and the ecu relay also seen something about the ignition switch but my car starts ok so the ignition switch should be ok??

Cheers.

Should have got my car back from the garage today after the bodywork being repaired but got a phone call from them saying they couldn't get my car to start their mechanic reckons the fuel pump is knackered but he also says there was no spark from the ignition coil possible immobiliser problem. If the fuel pump was knackered would that stop the ignition coil giving a spark??

They are now telling me the fuel pipe is corroded and leaking. Would a faulty ignition switch turn the car over and fail to give the voltage to the ignition coil for the spark or would the car fail to turn over.

Cheers.

They are now telling me the fuel pipe is corroded and leaking. Would a faulty ignition switch turn the car over and fail to give the voltage to the ignition coil for the spark or would the car fail to turn over.

Cheers.

those fuel lines down by the pump do corrode badly, It's unlikely the garages fault, but I'd have thought if one of the lines was close to failing just the process of inspecting everything could push one over the edge.

I'd have thought the ignition switch would have given a few problems before this, they tend to give notice with occasional failures to turn the starter or a bit of 'wiggling' needed with the key, easy enough to check, whip the cowelling off and test the pins with a multimeter to make sure it's completing the circuits when the key is turned.