Sign in to follow this  
kevin_m

Power Steering

im having trouble with my power steering, i replaced the belt, along with the belt for the water pump belt just a week or so ago and now the power steering isnt working well, but it seems to work a wee bit at high revs, leading me to belive that it is a pressure issue? a burst or worn seal? any help would be much appreciated

kev

has the level in the reservoir gone down?

trace the hoses from the pump to reservoir and pump to rack, any signs of leaks?

any leaking from around the rack itself?, bear in mind they can leak into the rubber boots on the rack.

The pressure relief valve inside the pump can stick, worth removing the pressure hose (one that goes directly to rack) and then removing the valve under that, which goes down inside the body of the pump, they are in a couple of parts with a spring between and one part has a tiny gauze filter in it, clean and inspect and feel inside the drilling in the body of the pump, they can get scored.