Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Problem Selecting First Gear

I've got a problem selecting first gear where it feels like the gearlever won't go far enough over to select first as I keep getting third instead. If I really push the lever to the left (without going into reverse) then I do seem to be able to get it in. I don't seem to have any problem with selecting reverse though, so not sure if adjusting the cables will help or does reverse work differently, so not necessarily connected to movement required for first?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Same problem getting into 2nd?

It may be that both the sideways and/or front/back linkage needs adjusting. I did a handy wiki article that is in the submissions sub-forum, check it out. If it isn't at least you can rule that out.

lift up the gaiter and surround, look to see if the circlip on the side of the pivot is still there, if they pop off the lever will move to the left more than it moves the cable to the left as the plastic 'T' piece at the bottom of the lever wil slip sideways on it's metal pivot bar.

Thanks Corradude, already have that printed off ready to take a look.

Davidwort, I'm thinking that you're suggestion might actually be the problem considering the symptoms that I'm experiencing. Sometimes it doesn't seem too bad to get into first, so I'd think it quite plausable that this could be the issue as it might not always be slipping.

Found the source of the problem...a loose nut on the mechanism above the gearbox.

I'd got the C back from garage on Friday following the replacement of my heater matrix and driving around yesterday I got into the position where I could no longer select 1st or 2nd gear. The problem of gear selection had seemed quite intermittant, sometimes there seemed no problem at all whereas other times I really struggled to engage 1st in particular. The garage had previously taken a look and made quite a job out of lubricating all the mechanisms both under the gater and also above the gearbox.

With the problem worsening yesterday I decided to familiarise myself with how it all worked with both selecting gears with the stick and also by moving the mech above the gearbox. I then noticed that the mech attached to the cable for raising/lowering (i.e. higher gears the mech comes up and lower gears the mech must go down had a very slightly loose nut that was slipping. This was causing the mech not to go down, so by staying neutral I kept getting 3rd and 4th. I decided to tighten the nut in it's midway position and that seems to have solved the problem!

Bit surprised that the garage didn't notice the loose/slipping nut!