Sign in to follow this  
t_chet2001

A little Tax advice needed

Hello,

Finally got my car insured after being sorn since last September! So I went to the postie today to tax it for the 1st of Feb (Sunday). Anyway, taxed it for a year and noticed that on the disk its stamped "post office 30th January". So I didnt no whether I would get away with driving it from tomorrow or whether this is highlyyyyyyyyyy illegal? Im just feeling a little impatient really, but you cant blame me?! Once its on the road I will post some proper pictures :D

Cheers,

Tom

Um, whats the expiry date on disc?

I didn't think they could sell you a disc valid from a future date (unless you're renewing and have a valid disc for the current month)?

I just bought a disc today that expires 31st July 09 (as my last disc expires 31st jan 09). If yours expires 31st July 09 or 31st Jan 10 then you shouldn't use it as technically its not valid this month (Jan). In this case your car is officially sorned until midnight 31st Jan 09 so if you get ANPR'd tomorrow or a copper notices the disc then you may be liable for a fine.

If your new disc expires June 09 or Dec 09 then theres no problem with using it as you've payed the full whack for this month (jan) and will only get 1.5 days use.

I would say that legally your car is still in SORN status until 1st of February. Your tax disc reads until next year but your may still get stopped by by a dibble if his ANPR alerts him.

How you get through that will (I suspect) depend largely on how much of an issue the officer wants to make out of it all considering that only a day is involved, and how persuasive you can be with your undoubted "I didn't have a clue it wouldn't be ok" excuses.

To be honest, and I know you're eagar to drive it, its not worth getting pulled and fined + possibly points. As corozin said if the ANPR gets you, thats it. Just hang on in there mate for one more day :D

Car tax is ridiculous IMO, they should let you pay for 12 months from the day you pay, and refund you from the day they get if back for refund. Modern computer systems would easily allow it.

Instead they make you pay full whack for as little as 1 day left in the month, and will only refund full months left.

grrrr.