Sign in to follow this  
t_chet2001

I have Power but no sound

Hello chaps,

Im having some issues with a head unit and sound. I will try and be as clear as possible but im an absolute novice when it comes to speakers and sound!

Okay so I got the car last year with no head unit in it but wires, speakers on the back parcel shelf. So anyway recently started driving her and its been great, and I have now decided its time to get the head unit sorted out. Anyway my Mrs had one quicking around from an old 205 which she used to drive. And we knew it was working when she had it in her car, but this was like 4 years ago!

So I buy an ISO lead off of Ebay and it slots in great, and the CD player powers up but no sound, so Im like hmmm, odd. Then a few seconds later there are sparks from the wires and somthing is shorting out. So I unplug everything and make it safe and take a closer look at the wires. It appears that they all go into "one of those things" cant think of what they are called (the wire goes in oneside to a plastic mount and you screw down and then a wire is on the other side and you screw that end in)... Anyway the wire wasnt in very well and it was shorting out on the metal mount which much have been filled with something negative.

So It still didnt work after the blue sparks were fixed, so I checked Fuse 22 (on the off chance) and that was fine. So I then got a wire diagram off of here and the wires corresponded fine to where the speakers were located in the car and all the wires ended up at the front and were wired up to a standard Male ISO.

I have checked the speakers are not blown by using a AA battery and they all make a noice when doing the check (I found this check via a google post)

So I am just basically a little lost to what to do next. It is possible that the head unit has had it but I would have thought there we a little whisper of sound from it? So the next plan is to get another ISO lead for another head unit which is quicking around to see if I get sound from that one. Was just wondering whether anyone had any ideas what could be wrong? Anything else I could check?

Thanks for reading this very long post!

Cheers,

Tom :confused4:

To be honest if theres power going to it and no sound (assuming the volume is turned up ;) ) then i would maybe think its the head unit at fault. There's nothing between the speakers and the head unit to stop it from working.

Sorted, definitly was the head unit, nipped down to halfords and got a new ISO for another head unit and worked no problem! So for anyone in future, just get a new head unit!!! :cheers:

Sorted, definitly was the head unit, nipped down to halfords and got a new ISO for another head unit and worked no problem! So for anyone in future, just get a new head unit!!! :cheers:

:lol: :lol: Sorted - 'those connectors' were the choccy-block connectors I'm guessing?